Which replacement brake pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a touring bike with the longer drop ultegra equivalent dual-pivot brakes (57????? mm drop instead of the usual 49mm, to allow mudguards). I have always bought non-cartridge type blocks.

Couple of Q's
Can I replace these with cartridge type, if so, what koolstop parts should I buy, and what do you think are the best pads for these cartridges?
If I can't use cartridges, what is the best koolstop or other non-cartridge replacement?

Ta
Yes you can use the cartridge type. My Kinesis has got the long reach brakes too, its came with ultegra brake holders and at the moment I've fitted koolstop inserts. Folk say Koolstop Salmons are good but the bees knees are Swisssstop.

chugsy

It can be cheaper to replace entire brake set than to upgrade to cartridge pads:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39004 which includes:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28914
The same applies to buying cones for hubs - just buy the lot!

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I have been on Aztec dual compound for the road, they pull up much better than Shimano or Fibrax. They're also much better in the wet.

I would be interested in how they compare to Koolstop or Clarks, any insights ?

Nebulous

Guru
The same applies to buying cones for hubs - just buy the lot!

I'm not really understanding this - but seeing as my hubs are playing up I'd really like to know. Do you mean replace the whole hub rather than rebuild it? Or the wheel?

I'm impressed with these brakes by the way. I recently replaced pads on my commuter mtb, and wasn't far short of that for them.

chugsy

It can be cheaper to buy an entire hub and use the parts from it than buy parts individually... in my case, the deore hub on my old mtb - bearings exploded and the surface of the cone nut pitted severely. The cup was fine so the main hub body did not need to be replaced (I can't rebuild wheels so would have just bought a new wheel at that point - it was 10 years old anyway). The only place I could find the cones was at SJS for about 15 quid but their website was playing up - LBS had to order them in and suggested a new deore hub at £25. I mulled it over and went home - found complete hub OEM on CRC for a tenner. Took the cones off, new BBs and axle and transferred to wheel - job done! Still have a spare QR and hub body just in case (should junk them as I sold the bike last year)

Top Bottom