Which replacement brake pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
As this is the first time I've had to buy them, can someone please point me in the right direction regarding replacement brake pads? I'm not sure what pads I should be getting to replace those on my daily-use commuter (Ridgeback Flight), but I am a bit surprised to have worn out one of the back pads in only 1500 miles, although in truth, I've not idea if that's normal or not :blush:

The pads say Tektro on them and measure 60mm in length (horrible pic attached), but other than that I can't make any text markings out.

In all honesty, I've never felt short of braking power (except maybe in the wet), but I do wonder if I should I be replacing them with something better than stock - e.g. a "more stopping power pad" or "longer wearing pad"..?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

brakes.jpg

the snail

Guru
koolstop salmon or dual compound seem to be favourite on here. I've been using jagwire, which give good braking and are kind to rims (they don't seem to pick up grit/metal flakes, and the rims stay shiny) and they're under a fiver.

You are just looking for ordinary v brake pads, if you want you can buy v brake holders and inserts (usually dearer just now but cheaper down the line, when you just have to buy the inserts) or the single unit block. I've koolstop on the back of my bikes just now and folk say they are the best vfm but I've also had Aztec which are good blocks too.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm currently using Koolstop Dual Compound on my cantilever braked bike - excellent braking power, and good durability.

Damned expensive though.

After reading good reports elsewhere I shall be trying some OBE pads (here) next time.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Commuting home tonight and my brakes are APPALLING, seems to have deteriorated really quickly. Now I've seen the suggestions on this thread but would like to sort them out tomorrow if possible, however, there's only one place open tomorrow and they sell Clarks blocks, now are they really not worth getting or are they ok but not the best?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
my rear pads just died in 450 miles, which seems rediculous! They were OE so Im hoping that the clarks ones Ive just put on will last longer. They feel great though, much more powerful than before. and they have swappable inserts which Im hoping will mean its cheaper later on.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Mine are OE too, to be fair they've done a few miles, especially considering the bike which they are original to, they've had it now though! Well, a vote of confidence is a vote of confidence, thank you :thumbsup:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've switched to Clarks rather than Koolstop from the basic Shimano pads and it's a revelation. So a yes from me for these.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
One thing I thought was weird when I bought the crosstrail was that the rims were totally painted, including the pad contact area. This paint has now worn off.

Is this a bit odd to anyone else.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A set of cartridge type holders & pads are a good investment, as you don't have to set the position every time you change pads.

As for pads, Kool Stop salmon, or Fibrax "Xtreme" both stop nice, and are kind to rims (the pads are a soft compound though, so they'll wear quicker). I like Aztec too, although my LBS sell Fibrax, and they're cheaper than the other two.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Bought some Clarks blocks, fitted them, and now my bike stops when I pull those lever things, that'll do me ^_^
Thanks all :thumbsup:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I have switched to Koolstop Salmon pads in the cartridge holders for my winter bike. I found that Shimano pads seemed to damage the rims a lot quicker that these do. They have the trailing edge that cleans the rim surface first before the full contact of the block occurs. You tend to have to pull harder on the brakes but get used to that. I know that the grime of winter will act as a grinding paste and damage rims and there isn't that much you can do about it, but these do seem a better option and I consider the outlay reasonable.

the snail

Guru
I know that the grime of winter will act as a grinding paste and damage rims and there isn't that much you can do about it
Take the pads off and pick any grit/metal flakes out. Do this on a regular basis, and especially if your rims develop a grey paste (ground aluminium). I didn't know this last winter, and managed to wear my rims down to the bottom of the wear groove in 1000km. A club member recommended Jagwire pads for not picking up grit etc, and they seem good, I've managed to get another 8000km out of the rims.

fatblokish

Guru
I have a touring bike with the longer drop ultegra equivalent dual-pivot brakes (57????? mm drop instead of the usual 49mm, to allow mudguards). I have always bought non-cartridge type blocks.

Couple of Q's
Can I replace these with cartridge type, if so, what koolstop parts should I buy, and what do you think are the best pads for these cartridges?
If I can't use cartridges, what is the best koolstop or other non-cartridge replacement?

Ta

Top Bottom