Which road bike for between 1500 and 2500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisw481

Regular
The wife is allowing me a new steed, just so many choices. I thought about a canyon ultimate cf and the specialized tarmac, any other bikes I should be considering? I know that in this price bracket an immediate wheel upgrade is almost certainly going to be necessary too :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
For what reasons have you chosen those two? Might help people suggest other similar models with the characteristics you seek :smile:

£1500 bike will have rather different components to a £2500 bike most likely, quite a big ballpark

What brands do your fave local shops sell, always a good place to start? If ok with a 2013 model, you could get a 2-2.5k bike for £1500 or a 3-3.5k bike for 2.5k :whistle:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Good time to pick up a 2013 model nice and cheap. I got Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset on my bike in the same price range as you (end of 2012)....thats a half decent wheelset isn't it?

OP
OP
Chrisw481

Chrisw481

Regular
For what reasons have you chosen those two? Might help people suggest other similar models with the characteristics you seek :smile:

£1500 bike will have rather different components to a £2500 bike most likely, quite a big ballpark

What brands do your fave local shops sell, always a good place to start? If ok with a 2013 model, you could get a 2-2.5k bike for £1500 or a 3-3.5k bike for 2.5k :whistle:

Apologies I'm after quite a racy geometry hence those two, ideally ultegra groupset but I'm willing to compromise as long as is its not down to tiagra lol and apologise for the very large ball park price bracket it is what was given to me by my none cycling wife :sad: not knowing that that encompasses about a billion bikes.

Please do not take this the wrong way, [perhaps we need a permanent thread titled "what bike"], but if you are a beginner and you have that much cash to spend on a bike plus you are already talking about wheel upgrading then something doesn't quite add up because just for starters you will not need a wheel upgrade on a £2000 + bike unless you are racing and even then. If you are more experienced, then all you are getting by asking on here are folks personal preferences. A good lightweight frame is just that, though if you want one for sprinting or climbing then you need a stiff bottom bracket. Apart from that all you are doing is picking the groupset and wheels you prefer. At this price point many bike sellers enable you to choose your components which is what we personally prefer to do.
I would like to bet though that for a significant portion of folks it is the aesthetics of the bike that sells it to them. Only advice I would offer is get something a bit different from the Spesh, Giant , big brands that most ride.

Peteaud

Veteran
mdb-f2997_supersixevosmultegradi2.jpg

:biggrin:

No contest for me.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Please do not take this the wrong way, [perhaps we need a permanent thread titled "what bike"], but if you are a beginner and you have that much cash to spend on a bike plus you are already talking about wheel upgrading then something doesn't quite add up because just for starters you will not need a wheel upgrade on a £2000 + bike unless you are racing and even then. If you are more experienced, then all you are getting by asking on here are folks personal preferences. A good lightweight frame is just that, though if you want one for sprinting or climbing then you need a stiff bottom bracket. Apart from that all you are doing is picking the groupset and wheels you prefer. At this price point many bike sellers enable you to choose your components which is what we personally prefer to do.
I would like to bet though that for a significant portion of folks it is the aesthetics of the bike that sells it to them. Only advice I would offer is get something a bit different from the Spesh, Giant , big brands that most ride.
+2 :thumbsup:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Apologies straight off.

I can't yet do links but...

If you can be bothered check out Tweekscycles.co.uk Sintesi Z2 Force or Sintesi M2 Force.

These are both 2012 models - the Z2 having an aero seat mast & the M2 an integrated aero seat mast.

Both have full Sram Force groupsets (I bought my Z2 Oct 2013).

Frames & forks are Toray T800 so v.high spec carbon.

Both bikes are pictured with Ritchey Carbon wheelset & Sram Red but come with Force & Ritchey WCS Zeta wheelsets (1600g per set & titanium skewers).
These wheels are similar in spec/quality to Mavic Ksryium.

Although unknown in the U.K by most Sintesi are well known Italian brand in Europe.

The Z2 stock is down to 1x Med & 1x Large & only in Black/White (mine is as pictured).

The M2 is available only in Large White/Red/Silver.

I went for this as it is reduced to £1500 from £2500 & VGVFM.
It's also quite rare on U.K roads & so suited my need for something different.

Good Luck Hunting.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Just re-read your post in full & it is very very well put.
I did indeed reply with my personal and quite left field preference.

There is some value in asking though, if only to get a few ideas the prospective buyer may not have considered or to learn of 'bad experiences' with particular brands/stores etc.

Again though - very well put.

Top Bottom