Which road bike for between 1500 and 2500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
re those Sintesi, personally I avoid aero seat posts as they are a minimal benefit for me, and tie you down if you ever need to replace.

Focus are worth a look. I have one (stored for winter so cannot see model name) but it is the 2013 Izalco Pro I think like this http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Focus/Izalco-Pro-20-Bicycle-Compact-2013/1LH3 (down to 1999 from a lot lot more) it is a sportier lower ride than the Cayo Evo which is about the same price. I saw another carbon Focus in my LBS in red with Ultrega down at 1500, so bargains to be had

jay clock

Massive member
Please do not take this the wrong way, [perhaps we need a permanent thread titled "what bike"], but if you are a beginner and you have that much cash to spend on a bike plus you are already talking about wheel upgrading then something doesn't quite add up because just for starters you will not need a wheel upgrade on a £2000 + bike unless you are racing and even then. If you are more experienced, then all you are getting by asking on here are folks personal preferences. A good lightweight frame is just that, though if you want one for sprinting or climbing then you need a stiff bottom bracket. Apart from that all you are doing is picking the groupset and wheels you prefer. At this price point many bike sellers enable you to choose your components which is what we personally prefer to do.
I would like to bet though that for a significant portion of folks it is the aesthetics of the bike that sells it to them. Only advice I would offer is get something a bit different from the Spesh, Giant , big brands that most ride.
very useful comments, but perhaps what the OP meant about upgrading wheels was that the wheels are often under specced for the rest of the package. Certainly my Focus was.

Judderz

As said, most go for personal preference, so for me, with that kind of budget, I'd go for an Orbea Orca with Ultegra with Mavi Aksiums already fitted.

Winstanleys were doing the 2014 model with the above for £2158

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I haven't ridden any of these bikes so I can't tell you what they're like to ride but I have a friend who has been riding for nearly 20 years and has recently gone out and bought the bike of his choosing....He went for the canyon and upgraded to a zipp 303 wheel set, taking the bike to a value of about 5k (above and beyond I know) Very nice and very light. 6.5kg or something like that.

2014-01-27 11.21.11.png

Saying that I went into Halford the other day and came out day dreaming about the boardman pro carbon Slr, which is £1700.
2014-01-27 11.20.40.png

Ultegra set on the boardman and dura on the canyon

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You got a pic buddy?. I got a plain old defy but I love that too. Giant propel for me if I won the lottery but too nice to ride. Would probably hang it on the wall ha ha
I still love my Defy aswell :thumbsup: Im out on that all the time but the TCR is just sweet to ride . Ive got my eye on a Trinity0 but this lot wont let me buy a TT bike :laugh:

The TCR

002_zps8346d4d0.jpg

001_zpsa653522a.jpg

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Beautiful @Cuchilo
The frame geometry on the defy really suits me well. Well pleased overall, although a new groupset would be nice. Better start saving

SteCenturion

I am your Father
As said, most go for personal preference, so for me, with that kind of budget, I'd go for an Orbea Orca with Ultegra with Mavi Aksiums already fitted.

Winstanleys were doing the 2014 model with the above for £2158
I like the Orca - I really do aesthetically it's lovely & good enough for the Peloton.

Only thing is (as with quite a few brands) if you go for the Bronze (base model) you do get the lower grade carbon & it's not so light.
The gold models are uber expensive.
You got a pic buddy?. I got a plain old defy but I love that too. Giant propel for me if I won the lottery but too nice to ride. Would probably hang it on the wall ha ha
You are a Burger for a wind up Doyley.
:scratch:
Propel ? Lottery Win ? Hang it on the wall ?

Now - I really like the TCR's & have a soft spot for my old Defy too but...

That new aero Giant should be hung on a wall - in front of a Firing Squad (Fugly bike) or Propel it into the nearest Canal.

:angel: Bet they are quite quick though.

Last edited:

andyhp1

Is this thread still alive?

I too am considering a carbon bike - upgrade from my Trek 1.2.

Many better cyclists than me seem happy with Planet X with Ultegra at around £1k, whilst some say you can't beat quality and to go for Spesh Tarmac at around £2,300.

No one in the above mentioned the benefits or otherwise of doing the bike fit thing and getting advice from the shop/fitter as to what bike has the best geometry to suit the rider.

Articles are always going on about the benefits of bike fit and how it's a couple of hundred quid well spent - over and above the cost of the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I was spending 2k on a bike, I'd expect a good fitting by someone who knows what they are doing within the price. Which is why buying a bike online for that sort of money seems utterly bonkers to me!

Bike preference is a very personal thing - you can read all the threads and reviews you want but ultimately the right bike is the one that is best for you given your budget

Top Bottom