Which road bike for both commuting and long distance touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I agree, the Country Traveller is/was a great value entry-level tourer. Mine has the cantis too, but I found that braking was transformed after I replaced the original blocks with Koolstops.
You can futz with the straddle height, and brake type too. I sorted the braking on my Long Haul Trucker by fitting IRD CAFAM brakes, and an aftermarket straddle kit made by Tektro (rather than the original link wires).

HorTs

Über Member
Unless your competing for fractions of seconds then the micro-genre of cycle wont matter. Don't worry what it is labelled as, just choose one that works for you.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
You could do a lot worse than considering a Dawes Galaxy. You should be able to get one 2nd hand for around your budget. Just make sure it fits you.

iggibizzle

I've got a defy 4. Longest ride I've done on it so far is about 70miles but could easily have got back on and done the same again. Planning some long long distances in it over summer and am perfectly happy to use that. Very comfy seating position. Could use it every day too. Although I use my 40 year old steel for that. Steel feels a bit more nimble and I'm a bit quicker on it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What is your current bike like? The frames of bikes such as Thorn and Oxford Bike Works aren't so different from old mountain bikes. You could possibly use your current frame with some nice upgrades to get a very nice bike indeed.

This is worth looking into.

A mountain bike frame is extremely versatile, particularly if it has lots of mounting points, as many do.

A couple of sets of wheels/tyres, some well chosen mudguards and carriers, and you have a year round commuter/tourer.

tournut

Edinburgh bike sell whyte, might get a deal in their sale?
Any bought a dawes karakum, seams a good long distance tour bike.

Top Bottom