Which route planning site to use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
youngoldbloke said:
I find them useful for planning routes,

+1
I've used bikehike and bikeroutetoaster to plan my JoGLE and all my training rides - and some of my hillwalking too. I don't have a problem with not being able to save on bikehike - you can still keep a local copy of the track as a GPX file. Bikehike's elevation/gradient figures are sometimes not believable - but the ability to check OSM/Google data aginst OS Landranger is a major plus. Bikeroutetoaster is slightly more believable on elevation, and you can "route" on OSM data (Bikehike only routes on Google data) so that's useful if you are off-road.
I hate mapmyride...

zacklaws

Guru
zacklaws said:
It looked a bit different this site so I thought I would plot tomorrows ride on it.

When I downloaded it into Training centre and looked at it I could not stop laughing. My 56 mile route has been calculated to take only 13 minutes, avg speed 251mph and the max speed 2167mph. Its even plotted on a steep uphill that I should be doing 1289mph.

I know its an American site but surly they know the difference between a push bike and an F15. I do not think I will be racing my virtual opponent on my Edge 305 somehow tommorow.

Well I tried the route out that I plotted from this site, after about 5 miles, I took a glance at my virtual opponent out of curiosity and saw that he was 51 miles in front of me, wondered what that blurred object was going past me in the opposite direction. The other thing that was way out was the profile, whilst going up a hill that according to the Edge was around 11%, the plotted profile, whilst zoomed in, indicated that I was almost going up a vertical cliff face, wouldn't want to go up a 25%, it would probably be plotted as an overhang.

Think I will give that site a miss till it irons its bugs out or I can improve my cadence to match the speeds, but there again I might just have been unlucky, pity really as it does have promise but overall the planned route was spot on. The website is probably based in "Area 51" at Edwards Air force base in Nevada, and the navigation programme was pulled out of a UFO they found.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jimboalee said:
If it will annoy you even more, if I decide to ride to some town somewhere ( for instance Wolverhampton. Sorry W, "City". ) I will select Wolverhampton on my Garmin and follow the pink line.
I have Topo GB set up to Avoid any roads that have an 'M' prefix. Any other road is "Fair game", including Birmingham's inner ring, West Bromwich by-pass, the Black Country 'spine corridor' and Wolves inner ring.

ALL you need are nerves of steel and a turn of pace capable of keeping with the buses.:smile:

Why would that annoy me? :laugh: The sites I suggested just give more options, ride where you like ;)

Top Bottom