Which saddlepack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carolonabike

At the moment I'm usisng a small rucksack for my commute but I don't like the inevitable sweaty back.

Now the warmer weather is on it's way I'm thinking about a saddlepack instead. I only need to carry a jumper, lunch, keys and phone so the 10 litre rucksack I'm using at the moment is usually only half full.

I've been looking at the Carradice Maxi (6 litres) or the SuperC (8 litres) but I'm a bit worried about sideways movement especially on the bigger of the two.

Does anyone use either of these or have any alternative suggestions?

PpPete

Legendary Member
For the "trad" look - a Carradice Barley?

Or a bar bag with a QR fitting like the R&K ?

I've got one of these, there's also the Altura Arran or Ortlieb do some larger ones.

Edited to include a picture of mine

IMG_3636_resize.JPG

You might also want to ask theclaud what bag she has on the back of her bike in the picture in this post

OP
OP
carolonabike

carolonabike

Thanks for the replys,

Crackle, the one in your picture isn't on the Carradice website anymore but the Maxi looks very similar. At 6 litres it would be ideal and as you say large enough for day rides too which would be a bonus.

DTD

Veteran
I've got one of these, there's also the Altura Arran or Ortlieb do some larger ones.

Edited to include a picture of mine

[attachment=2466:blush:MG_3636_resize.JPG]

You might also want to ask theclaud what bag she has on the back of her bike in the picture in this post

Looks like the one I've just ordered – Topeak Wedge Drybag with Strap – spookily enough theclaud has also got my bottle cages and a silver bike. Must be great minds thinking alike.

It looks like the Maxi is the new version and they appear to have improved how you attach it. Looks like it's a lot easier to take on and off, which mine isn't. Nicer colour too. Might flog mine and get the new one :smile:

Edit: I mean the new version of the Maxi, as mine is a Maxi.

leyton condor

Veteran
I have the super C. I was going to get the barley but this one was cheaper and as it only gets occasional use on longer day rides I could not justify the extra on a barley.

I have had no problems with sideways movement or any other problems come to think of it.
I find it a bit small for my daily commute but I tend to carry too much stuff.
For the money it is a great not so little bag.

Go on treat yourself

Check out this thread

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10163.15

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have the Carradice Lowsaddle Longflap supported by a Bagman sport Q/R. It is a decent size for my commuting and day ride needs and the Q/R support makes removal quick and simple without faffing around with the leather straps. It is a tad expensive, it cost me around £80 for both items but the sweaty back problem has been much reduced.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I've got a Super C, it's a good bag but i find the straps slip so it drops down a bit. Not bad but you could get better for the money.
I've got a full set of Super C luggage and that's the only one i'm not really happy with.

paul

OP
OP
carolonabike

carolonabike

Well, I ordered the super C on Thursday and it arrived today.

Excellent service from Carradice and I'm really pleased with the bag. Initially I was a bit worried as it looks smaller than I expected (don't know why, it states the measurements on the website but I suppose it's difficult to envisage in real life).

But it's on now and in it I've got, my inflator, puncture kit, inner tube, tyre levers. I've practised and there's still room for a jumper for work, phone, keys, purse, glasses (very important!) and my lunch. So, I'm sorted! No more sweaty back for me! I reckon I could even squeeze my jacket in if (and when) the weather turns warm.

It fits nicely even though I don't have a massive clearance between the saddle and mudguard. I'll be out tomorrow for a test run.

Thanks for all the helpful advice :rolleyes:

Good choice Carol. A lot of people use a bagman support or similiar with the Super C to prevent sway. Suck it and see first.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's amazing how much you can get into the Topeak Micro seatpack. Inner tube, tyre levers, phone, ID, keys, money.

I've just bought the Carradice Maxi for my Hybrid, looks like a well made peice of kit for under £20

Attachments

• bag1.jpg
    bag1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 156
  • bag2.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 376
Top Bottom