Which shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
Currently riding a mountain bike but now looking for a road bike for evening and weekend rides,however the bikes in my budget all have the straps on the pedals,all the shoes i've see for sale are clip ones??? or something to that effect,i know nothing about pedals other than you push them up an down to go,so does anyone have any recomendations as to which shoes/trainers are comfortable to use with the strap thingy pedals???? Dont want to pay too much in case i dont enjoy the road bike.

Use trainers with straps until you enjoy the bike, then buy some clipless pedals and appropriate shoes - there is no need to buy it all at once!

If you'd like to got the whole hog and try that first, then you can get some inexpensive SPD shoes at Aldi next thursday (£20) and a set of M520 clipless pedals for about the same money. Use the shoes through winter and get some flashier ones come next spring.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I'll have to pop along to Aldi next Thursday as that sounds a good price,even if i dont use them straight away,thanks for the info much appreciated.

PpPete

Legendary Member
When you buy those shoes from Aldi they have a rubber cover over the cleat mounting point so you can use them straight away on pedals with toe-clips & straps. You should find the sole is a bit stiffer than most trainers so it's more comfortable putting the power down.

When you buy the pedals (PD-M520 are excellent vfm) they come with cleats that you can just bolt on to the shoes when you have removed that rubber cover.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Cheers Pete,am i also right in thinking that the rule of thumb for cycling shoes is to buy a size larger?

Top Bottom