Which size tube for a 26 x 1.75 tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have 26 x 1.75 tyres on my touring bike and as I am off to cycle across the USA (YIPPEE) I am checking all my kit and supplies (see www.usacycle2018.com)

The tubes seem to come in 1.35 to 1.75 or 1.75 to 2.5

Any pluses or minuses to each size in a 1.75 tyre? Would go for the smaller on ease of fitting unless you have any views?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Agree - go for the smaller ones. Lighter and less likely to try and 'escape' during fitting. Suitably envious of your 'coast to coast'.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Agree - go for the smaller ones. Lighter and less likely to try and 'escape' during fitting. Suitably envious of your 'coast to coast'.
cheers. I do have a couple tubes in my kit but I don't recall having had and "ahem" issues I'm my last 5000+ km of tours, so I will be buying a couple of new in case the old ones are perished

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Both have worked for me without issue. Some may say one is stretched and thinner. Others will say the other is heavy. No issue on my tourer and really it’s the tyre choice that is more important if you are thinking about punctures.

Schwalbe have super smart, clear dust caps. Swanky.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Both have worked for me without issue. Some may say one is stretched and thinner. Others will say the other is heavy. No issue on my tourer and really it’s the tyre choice that is more important if you are thinking about punctures.

Schwalbe have super smart, clear dust caps. Swanky.
Tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Previous pair have done 5000km and back looks half worn and front unworn. Replacing them just for the assurance that my trip across the US goes smoothly

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm tubeless now, but ran 3" tyres on my MTB with 1.75 - 2.5" inners for a while. No problems, think there's quite a wide range of tolerence. I've also heard people fitting 26" tubes in 29" tyres in emergencies. Go for the lightest imo!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've used 2" tubes in my 1.75 tires, plentiful, no problems. Depending on where you are in the States, a specific tube size may be harder to find, but I think if you find a bike shop, they'll have some. Have a patch kit as well, goathead thorns.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Oh my, yes. PrestaShop valves even less prevalent on 26" over here, in more rural areas. Have a fantastic tour.

Top Bottom