Which smaller front lights do people recommend/like?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, I've got a few front lights ranging from the 1600 Halfords light to various Chinese jobs off Ebay etc. The best I think for day to day is one from Planet X I got that was £15.00 or so. The Halfords 1600s is massive and more for Off Road riding in the dark or riding down dark roads where there no street lighting. Its not really one for having on for low light excursions out and about in the day. I also use this as a general torch.
The worst light is a Lezyne 400 which takes ages to charge and then has the brightness of a candle that lasts 1/2 hour. I'd never get another light from them. I've also used in the past those really cheap lights that use the coin batteries, I don't rate them either. I like lights that charge via a USB really.
So which ones do people on here rate please?

I highly rate Knog lights, best rechargeable lights I’ve had.

Hi, I've got a few front lights ranging from the 1600 Halfords light to various Chinese jobs off Ebay etc. The best I think for day to day is one from Planet X I got that was £15.00 or so. The Halfords 1600s is massive and more for Off Road riding in the dark or riding down dark roads where there no street lighting. Its not really one for having on for low light excursions out and about in the day. I also use this as a general torch.
The worst light is a Lezyne 400 which takes ages to charge and then has the brightness of a candle that lasts 1/2 hour. I'd never get another light from them. I've also used in the past those really cheap lights that use the coin batteries, I don't rate them either. I like lights that charge via a USB really.
So which ones do people on here rate please?

Ah that's embarrassing, I was about to recommend the
Lezyne Microdrive 800xl. Lasts a lot longer than 30mins and is very bright.

There's also these 2 x front again zoomable lights I've used off ebay, takes 3xaaa and double up as a useful hand torch.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
CatEye, Volt series.
I have got an 800, several years old now, still charges fine.
Ideal to see/be seen on lesser lit roads on dark winter mornings/nights.
Even the smaller, older 100 still charges fast and keeps the charge.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I've got Newton lights fitted on all my bikes - front + rear - with flashing options and USB re-chargeable. I think the reference is 22B.

They last for a lot more than 30 mins but take around 2 hours to fully re-charge (so that's a job for the evening, post-ride).

I think the pack of both lights and the re-charger costs around 20 euros.

Very much to be seen, rather than to see by... but I'm very happy with them.

Top Bottom