Which smart phone with GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Uncle Mort said:
I almost got one of these today, but I was put off by the fact that there's no proper headphone socket - you have to use the HTC one and the HTC headphones apparently. I've got an expensive pair of noise cancelling ones already, so that was a bit of a no-no - unless you can get converters? The people in the shop didn't know. Other than that and some Bluetooth niggles (ie Bluetooth file exhange not working properly) it looked pretty perfect to me as well. Android looks really good.

Yes, you can get a converter. See here for example.

Garz

Squat Member
The adapters aren't that expensive, I don't use mine that much so the default ones do fine. Don't need any excuses not to buy this handset it got a fantastic market for apps and easily rivals the iphone IMO. If it weren't for the o2 exclusiveness I would probably be with an iphone however im glad I got the magic as I can see android is definitely going places.

nigelnorris

If the adapters are anything like the older style ones then yes they are rubbish, and no there's no point shopping around because they're all the same - even branded Nokia ones.

I use mine day in day out and they do well to last 2 or 3 of weeks each. I buy them four or five at a time to save on postage. First thing I do when they arrive is superglue the points where the cable meets the connectors, that usually doubles the lifespan. I tend to keep a couple of spares in my saddlebag with the spare inner tubes, because they pack up more often than tubes, and with no spare meaning no GPS it's a pain to get caught short in the middle of nowhere.

I've just seen for the first time a solid version with no cable so I've ordered a couple of those, might be better.

nigelnorris

Oh and incidentally I've just bought a spare battery for my N73 off of Amazon for a fiver inc P&P. Was advertised as branded Nokia but came with a tat sticker instead of the hologram so I assume it's a copy. A Nokia original costs > £25 so I was very skeptical, but blow me down it stays powered up for exactly as long as the original. Bargain, I'll be getting a couple more since four of the things charged up in advance would probably be enough to power a whole week's holiday touring without stopping.

Garz

Squat Member
nigelnorris said:
If the adapters are anything like the older style ones then yes they are rubbish, and no there's no point shopping around because they're all the same - even branded Nokia ones.

I use mine day in day out and they do well to last 2 or 3 of weeks each. I buy them four or five at a time to save on postage. First thing I do when they arrive is superglue the points where the cable meets the connectors, that usually doubles the lifespan.

What handset are you talking about?

If your going through that many (adapters) in not so many weeks then I don't think your the average user tbh. Granted nobody likes using adapters however I wont be listening to music whilst riding, and if im doing some serious listening I will use a dedicated player with proper earphones.

Listening to stuff on my phone I can get away with the bog standard ones, maybe the other magic users can add their opinion on it.

nigelnorris

I have an N73, different end connector but I think that the leads will all come from the same factories, and will have the same problems.

No I'm not an average user probably, I like to have music so I cycle permanently with earphones in, an hour a day commute plus whatever leisure miles I do. They always break at the phone end caused by having to bend the cable to fit it in a pocket somewhere. I'm thinking that the best fix for this is probably a handlebar fitting for the phone itself to avoid bending the cable.

Garz

Squat Member
Lets take then, that it if you are a heavy user like nigel is then the points he is making highlights the weakness of an adapter. If your after a smart phone with gps then it does not alter the decision regarding my personal needs.

Regardless of which smart-phone you choose, if you use gps and listen to music whilst riding expect your battery to not last very long.

Garz

Squat Member
blazed said:
He may be like me and have a different phone for each girlfriend i have 6 phones.

So your such as stud, that means say your imaginary two girlfriends requires you to have twelve phones!

Blaze you just keep up that verbal diarrhoea mate! :tongue:

Top Bottom