Which SPDs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristinaJL

I think I've finally convinced myself to go clipless on the mountain bike. :biggrin: However, there's a bewildering amount of mtb spds out there, so I need a bit of help choosing!! :rolleyes:

Currently running DMR V8s on my new mountain bike, but even with these I find my feet can slip off especially when I hit a large rock or something like that. I'm mostly going to be riding xc or on the trails at my local mtb centre. I have shimano WSD mountain bike spd shoes and the sole is pretty slippy and that's why I'm going to make the transistion to spds.

So, I'm debating between a few crank brothers models - eggbeater, mallet and candy. I have rubbish knees so need a pedal with float and one that's easy to clip in and out of, especially in case of any emergencies, as I've only been mountain biking a few weeks. :blush: I run speedplay light action pedals on my road bike, so I'm well used to clipping in and out - although it took me ages to find an clipless pedal I liked - I don't like shimano as I find them hard to clip out even on the slackest setting - I have the Shimao M324 combo pedals on my touring bike but don't much care for them. :whistle:

Thanks!!

Muddy Ground

Time ATAC for knees.

www.muddyground.blogspot.com

PpPete

Legendary Member
Have you tried M520s ? Much better than the combo pedals IMO

If you shop around you can find them for £20, and if you don't like you can resell on ebay for almost as much.

Muddy Ground

Yes, spot on - I've dodgy knees from too many motorcycle accidents, and these are the ones I've been happy with. I think What Mountain Bike this month has a pedal review, so that'll be a good place to start.

However, the flats are probably the best if your knees are really bad?

www.muddyground.blogspot.com

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Yes, spot on - I've dodgy knees from too many motorcycle accidents, and these are the ones I've been happy with. I think What Mountain Bike this month has a pedal review, so that'll be a good place to start.

However, the flats are probably the best if your knees are really bad?

Thanks, they do look good. My knees are ok on the road bike now that I've got the speedplay pedals, so I'm hoping they'll also be ok with spds on the mountain bike. I quite like my DMR V8 platform pedals but my shoes are just too slippy especially if I get any mud on the bottom of them. I thought about buying a new pair of shoes (the sticky five-ten ones) but I have more trouble getting suitable shoes to fit than I do with pedals, hence I've ended up with 4 pairs of road shoes and 1 mtb pair. :blush:

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Thanks all, so now I have 4 different sorts to choose from!! :laugh: Guess I'll have a look at the shop when I go for my mountain bike course in a fortnight and see which look easiest to clip out of!!

cookeaa

I’m a fan of resin caged M424s (the cheapest Caged Shimano model) it’s marginally lighter than all the alloy caged pedals Shimano do but still has a usable platform for emergencies and is quite robust, I’ve treated them quite mean for a few years now with minimal maintenance and they’re going quite nicely… Make sure you have adjusted your cleats properly (this may well not be symmetrical, very few people are) to make sure your knees are straight and happy, often an indicator is feeling one foot get to the limit of the pedals float or even unclip itself during normal pedalling… Set the release tension nice and loose to start with if you like, just to help you get used to them, although once you start getting more confident you may find you are bouncing yourself out of your pedals on rough sections and may want to tighten them up a bit… A lot of people swear by Crank Bros pedals, for plenty of float and easier exit, but a fair few also seem to report disintegrating CB pedals and frustration at the lack of adjustment… but this is all subjective… Times get brillaint reviews in general, I've known a few people who swear by them, especially for dodgey knees...

Top Bottom