Which SPDs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Thanks all!!

I think I will go for either the candy or eggbeater pedals, or maybe the look ones. :biggrin: I'm on my mtb course on Sunday so I'll see what the instructor suggests. Apparantly they're assessing our skills first and we might be doing jumps, so this could be interesting. :laugh:

U

User482

Egg beaters have all sorts of reliability problems - do a search on singletrack world.

By contrast, I still have a pair of Deore DX SPDs that I bought in 1993, in perfect working order. They get refilled with grease once a year.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Egg beaters have all sorts of reliability problems - do a search on singletrack world.

By contrast, I still have a pair of Deore DX SPDs that I bought in 1993, in perfect working order. They get refilled with grease once a year.
The good citizens of singletrack world fail to point out that the reliability issues were with the original Eggbeater SL, which had fragile axles if you were of the Clydesdale persuasion. Crank Bros offer upgrade axles for the SL pedals. I would like to point out that I am a big fat f*cker and haven't broken either of my two pairs of Eggbeater C yet, neither on the Commuter nor on the MTB.

U

User482

The good citizens of singletrack world fail to point out that the reliability issues were with the original Eggbeater SL, which had fragile axles if you were of the Clydesdale persuasion. Crank Bros offer upgrade axles for the SL pedals. I would like to point out that I am a big fat f*cker and haven't broken either of my two pairs of Eggbeater C yet, neither on the Commuter nor on the MTB.

All I point out is that you see a lot more complaints about problems with eggbeaters, than you do with SPDs. I doubt that this is entirely because of the weight of the rider.

Berlinbybike

Crank Brothers use 1 bearing race and 1 bushing in their pedals - at least in the ones I have (Candy) - absolute rubbish at any price and never again at their price.

Bicycle

Crank Brothers use 1 bearing race and 1 bushing in their pedals - at least in the ones I have (Candy) - absolute rubbish at any price and never again at their price.

I have no idea about the technical side of Crank Bros pedals.

They may have one bearing per pedal or twenty....

But they are nice to use, easy to clip in and out of and they don't clog up with mud and annoying little stones.

They also offer lots of float if float is what makes your boat float.

1 big vote for Egg Beaters and Candy.

I have the cheapest versions of both on various different bikes and they are absolute mustard.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Well, I did the course on Sunday and learnt a whole load of skills. I'm going to stick with flat studded platforms for now and buy some five ten shoes so my feet don't whizz off the pedals when I try to do wheel lifts. :biggrin: The instructor recommended I stayed with platforms for a bit as I tend to get numb feet whatever pedal/spd shoe combo I use. But I'll get some candy pedals having seen them in my local shop too for when I feel confident enough to make the transition to spds.

I’m a fan of resin caged M424s (the cheapest Caged Shimano model) it’s marginally lighter than all the alloy caged pedals Shimano do but still has a usable platform for emergencies and is quite robust, I’ve treated them quite mean for a few years now with minimal maintenance and they’re going quite nicely… Make sure you have adjusted your cleats properly (this may well not be symmetrical, very few people are) to make sure your knees are straight and happy, often an indicator is feeling one foot get to the limit of the pedals float or even unclip itself during normal pedalling… Set the release tension nice and loose to start with if you like, just to help you get used to them, although once you start getting more confident you may find you are bouncing yourself out of your pedals on rough sections and may want to tighten them up a bit… A lot of people swear by Crank Bros pedals, for plenty of float and easier exit, but a fair few also seem to report disintegrating CB pedals and frustration at the lack of adjustment… but this is all subjective… Times get brillaint reviews in general, I've known a few people who swear by them, especially for dodgey knees...

I'm a big fan of these as well. long lasting, virtually indestructible, easy to clip out of and you can aso use normal trainers for going to the shops.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

I'm a big fan of these as well. long lasting, virtually indestructible, easy to clip out of and you can aso use normal trainers for going to the shops.

Those are the pedals I had on my road bike for 6 months and didn't get on with them for some reason they're stiff to clip out of even on the slackest setting - maybe I'm just a girlie wuss!! :laugh: Anyway, I got some five ten shoes yesterday which I can use on both my touring and mtb. Once I'm a bit more confident about not having to do any emergency foot down movements, then I'll move onto spds for the mountain bike. For some reason, although I'm really confident on road with spd-sls, I'm a bit reluctant off-road - probably because I've only been mountain biking a month and need to practise on riding over technical stuff unclipped. :rolleyes:

deaksie

Hello
I use normal SPD pedals but then have some Northwave Bike n'walk shoes which have a sole more like a walking boot than traditional biking shoes. That way if you have to get off in the mud (e.g. when opening gates) then you have a lot more grip. Works well for me
L

dtw

I second the Shimano DXs. I made the leap to SPDs from flats and like the fact that they have a larger platform. Do look a bit daft on my carbon xc full susser though!

Top Bottom