Which spoke diameter to order?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Outlaw Hobbs

I am planning on rebuilding the wheels on my trusty winter/pub/shopping 1992 Marin mountain bike. (Reasons - the hubs are worn and the galvanised spokes are rusty).
Luckily found some brand new old stock hubs identical to the originals a few months back so all I need now is the spokes.
On measuring the spokes I find they are 1.8 mm (15G) with no tapering. It seems most spokes easily and cheaply available in the UK are double-butted 2.0 mm to 1.8 mm (14G -15G).
Will such spokes which are 2.0 mm at each end fit in my hubs and rims or should I only fit 15G as per the originals?

I suspect you’ll be alright.

The holes in the rims will be no problem as they have to accommodate the nipples, which will be > 2mm in diameter.

I would have thought the holes in your hubs should be ok, but it you can’t get hold of the manufacturers specification you could always pop into a LBS with the hub and check that a 2mm spoke will go though.

As long as the wheel is built correctly, the double-butted spokes will be a better bet for a longer lasting, problem-free wheel than straight spokes.

If you haven't got it already, Roger Musson’s pdf book is a great resource for new wheel builders.

Enjoy your build.

OP
OP
Outlaw Hobbs

Outlaw Hobbs

Excellent. Thanks for the prompt replies. Just thought of a simple way to measure the hub holes - by trying to put the shank of a drill bit through it. A 2.5 mm drill bit fits exactly so ....
Going off to look for the Roger Musson book now :-)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never had a problem using spokes with 2mm ends, even in fairly ancient hubs. 1.8/1.6/1.8 spokes are pretty rare in UK shops although the vintage bike enthusiasts like them - 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes can look a bit thick on meticulous restorations.

OP
OP
Outlaw Hobbs

Outlaw Hobbs

All worked out well in the end. I found some 1.8mm DT Swiss stainless spokes at bankruptbikeparts for a good price and built up both wheels. Great improvement in looks and new hub on the front running smoothly.
The only hilarious cock-up was when I started to build up the rear wheel with the new hub and ran out of hub holes whilst there were still empty holes in the rim. Yes- I was trying to fit a 32 hole hub to a 36 hole rim. The original hub was a Shimano Exage FH-HG50 and so was the replacement; very weird. I can only assume Shimano made two versions 32 and 36.
After a good think I refitted the original hub. Luckily the non-drive side cup was in good condition and I replaced the cones, balls and freehub with new parts that I had in stock.
The spokes in the rear wheel ended up protruding slightly from the rim bed side of the nipple and needed grinding down which was probably the only unpleasant messy part of the job.
Been for a 5 mile test ride this morning and there were some odd noises from the front wheel when steering side to side at first but these stopped after a mile or two. Guessing it was the spokes taking up the set although it was a sound more like a tyre rubbing on something - I even stopped and checked it wasn't that!
So, my second and third wheel builds ticked off - I'm stoked!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Indeed that moment when they have not pringled in the first 400 yards.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've just trued some original Holdsworth factory wheels from 1982. The spokes had also been filed down because they used the wrong length* and the builder failed to put the valve hole between parallel spokes on both F&R wheels.

*it may be that they weren't available in the full range of lengths back then, although I suspect a sloppy builder

I've just trued some original Holdsworth factory wheels from 1982. The spokes had also been filed down because they used the wrong length* and the builder failed to put the valve hole between parallel spokes on both F&R wheels.

*it may be that they weren't available in the full range of lengths back then, although I suspect a sloppy builder

I couldn’t ride those wheels in case someone thought I’d built them. :headshake:

Top Bottom