Which telescope.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
For under £150 this makes a great first telescope:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

Comes highly recommended for beginners on the astronomy forums.

Drago

Legendary Member
OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
Thanks for the replies, I’m swayed towards the binoculars now as I think I’ll get more use from them and the review sites back up what’s been said on here.

Cheers Stuart

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I bought a big reflector telescope with a motorised mount from a charity shop. Up to that point, I had wondered about whether this was a hobby for me but all it did was convince me that it wasn't. There's only so many times I want to see a slightly fuzzy Saturn/Jupiter etc. while freezing to death. I gave the scope back to the shop.

Binoculars are fine for general gawping, plus they can be used for birdwatching. There's a way of holding binoculars with your elbows out against the strap that gives a fairly steady image. I've wondered about getting some Canon image stabilised bins but I don't know if they are suitable for night sky use

Drago

Legendary Member
The OP has had two pages of responses yet no one has asked the intended use.

I expect he wants it for looking though.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
1416672341944.jpg

Do people still play this ink prank?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Big reflectors need proper cool down time (mine has a fan built in to help with this) and will need to be collimated regularly for proper performance. They aren't always the best choice for beginners.

You may be taking my blurry reference a bit too literally. I had it working fine but in the end, I just felt it was a lot of faff to see something that was already available to view in vastly more detail on a screen in a nice warm room. As a self-confessed nerd, I almost hate to admit that but I did conclude it wasn't for me.

Top Bottom