which tent and sleeping bag would you use for Iceland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Hi All,

I really need a tour where it is desolate, beautiful, not touristy, tough, scenic and cold. I've done lots of tours in scotland with wild camping in summer/autumn, temps down to minus 11. I've camped in winter in Lake district but none of it really tested me or my equipment.

I did want to get to Scotland this winter bicycle to camp at bases of mountains and see stunning winter scenery but due to work, family accident wasn't possible and it has not been really cold enough. Camping at the Lake District at christmas though raining and extremely windy was just like scotland in a bad storm in winter.

I might sound a little bonkers to some, but to summarise it is just like going to Mars somewhere like Scotland in winter (or somewhere remote), compare to England it is like going to another planet.

So decided on Iceland for aug/sep for six weeks. That should give enough toughness to satisfy me. Have been before in 2007 but was inexperienced. Wrong kit etc. Since then done lots of tours mostly in Scotland in hilly windy, rainy terrain at all times of year (except winter!)

I have a selection of tents and sleeping bags to take but can't decide, some are for winter use, some free standing, some heavy, some light.

The tents are

1) Terra Nova Laser Large 2 - http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-space-2-tent/

3.3 kilo, plenty of space, 3 season, not great in winds, large.

2) Golite sl5 (outer only) http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-5-Tent-P46714.aspx
with Terra Nova Solar Competition and tarp
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/solar-competition- 1-tent/

Total weight 2.7 kilos, two tents effectively, very flexible, normal tent pitching, but can use the competition seperately free standing. Takes longer to setup, small living space but have used this combination for 3 months in scotland and worked well but in bad weather up there at durness had to peg the Golite 5 down really well, add extra guy lines and it just survived. Its zip went so for a while I just used the solar competion so it is like taking a spare tent.

3) - Coleman phad x 3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Phad-Three-Person-Backpacking/dp/B000PEN1VG
With groundsheet 4 kilos, heavy, but completely free standing but poles not overly strong.
Would it survive an icelandic storm? Bought to test out winter camping (rather than waste money if did not like).
Hard to put up in wet windy conditions.

4) - Finally could not resist, a hilleberg nallo 4 gt for winter. a little big, but figured in winter would need plenty of space.
http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/nallo/nallo4gt.php

With groundsheet about 4 kilos, you really can put these up in the cold, wet and windy with gloves on. They go up
easily. Need say nothing else about it except no free standing. Problem in Iceland wild camping?

I think 1 would be unsuitable but which to take out of 2,3,4?

Sleeping Bags

1) - I have a western mountaineering alpin lite, 900g good to -5c but no water proof shell. Would not work with option two
above if get heavy condensation

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm? section=products&page=sleeping%20bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=28

2) Western Mountaineering Kodiak, 1.2 kilos -19c low (though given its size probably lower than that) and water proof
outershell. Probably over kill but for 300g more it is water proof and more resilient if down gets damp (more of it so can
get damp for longer).

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...eping Bags&cat=Microfiber Series&ContentId=38

Bike is an easy one, Dawes super galaxy, tubus logo rack, dynamo with usb charge, spa handbuilt wheels. Cooker is Primus omnilite ti, small and light and runs on most fuels.

Got down jacket. So only quandary is which tent and sleeping bag would you take? I'm probably favouring the Hilleberg (option 4) and Kodiak Sleeping bag (option 2). However this is largely influenced in that I have not had a good old freeze your b?ll??ks off tour and want to use this equipment! But is this overkill?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Steve

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
which tent and sleeping bag would you use for Iceland? ... any, so long as it's in a hotel :thumbsup:

snorri

Legendary Member
You are bound to catch some bad weather in six weeks, so take the most robust kit you have along with a masonry drill for inserting tent pegs in lava fields when wild camping :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
And
Also take a bivvy bag, twenty quid on ebay. The Laser large will be ok in strong winds and in very strong winds use just the bivvy bag. In the cold, use the bivvy bag inside the tent, wear clothes. In very bad weather use a hotel or youth hostel. You will know when very bad weather is coming, either the locals will tell you or you can buy a local paper and look at the synoptic chart for a weather forecast. The hilleberg tents are very good but in six weeks you will soon wish you had a lighter tent.
YMMV.

I would be going with out Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT and a -10C bag, so 4 & 2 sounds good to me.
The lack of freestanding should not be a problem given that availability of rocks and the likes - we have pitched the nammatj before now without using pegs and only using the bikes and rocks...

OP
OP
S

stephenjubb

Über Member
And
Also take a bivvy bag, twenty quid on ebay. The Laser large will be ok in strong winds and in very strong winds use just the bivvy bag. In the cold, use the bivvy bag inside the tent, wear clothes. In very bad weather use a hotel or youth hostel. You will know when very bad weather is coming, either the locals will tell you or you can buy a local paper and look at the synoptic chart for a weather forecast. The hilleberg tents are very good but in six weeks you will soon wish you had a lighter tent.
YMMV.

interesting choice. the laser space + bivvy equals the weight of the hilleberg however.

Will need to look at the advantages of your suggestion over the hilleberg.

Thanks.

Sara_H

Guru
My answer was going to be the same as MontyVeda. Sorry I can't help, but hope you have a fab tour, sounds great!

stuee147

i got a ex-polish army sleeping bag its water proof has a removal cotton liner for eases of washing, it has a big section that covers your head and has arm holes so you can get a drink or have a smoke lol and the bottom opens up full with and secures up at the back so you can walk around in it with out tripping over. its also according to the label rated to -32C but iv only used in in temperatures from +11C to -18C and its so so comfy it the only sleeping bag iv had that i haven't either sweated or froze my bits off with. and only cost £35 on ebay
one problem with it is its heavy very heavy it weighs around 11kg and it don't pack down very small either but if its comfort and protection you want go for one just get a trailer to take it in lol

Top Bottom