Which touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I am still very happy with my dawes galaxy...but I have upgraded it a fair bit now. I dont know anything about th eother makes suggested so cannot comment on those.

If you go for a new galaxy be ready to upgrade a few things after a while ...I fitted a Brookes B 17 champion saddle and it's now part of my arse. Then the alloy stem...it's an ok stem as it comes but there are better ones out there...I now have an ITM racelight 120mm fitted...much better. The galaxy comes with basic alloy pedals and toeclips...which I replaced with shimano spd m250s...I have also been through a chain, new cassette in what must be easy over 10,000 miles on it now...and added some padding under the bar tape...oh yes I also added front balck burn low rider racks and three water cages. I Love this bike.

GrahamG

Guru
You know, if you've got a little patience, there are some absolutely amazing bargains on tourers that crop up on a fairly regular basis on the classifieds here, on the CTC Forum, and even on Ebay (tourers just aren't fashionable so ebay lunacy doesn't seem to prevail on these!).

LondonCommuter

chris667 said:
Galaxy for me. But only secondhand. There's lots of better bikes for the same money now.

Like? ...

Response appreciated as I'm on the verge of buying a new Super Galaxy from Evans (so discounted) as a replacement for my 6 month old Galaxy which I wrote off just before xmas. Insurance claim from driver still pending, so I'm taking a bit of a risk on this actually paying up but don't want to miss out on the current sale.

They're not bad bikes, but their new price puts them into the price of lots of better machines. Hewitt and Byercycles are names that spring to mind.
A secondhand one for £250 is the bargain of the century.

stephenjubb

Über Member
the raleigh royal at the bike factory for £310 is good value, but watch out for their postage. It is £60 which seems over the top to me.

I have just had a bike delivered 2nd post for £20, so not sure where they get their prices from.

cheers

steve jubb

Top Bottom