Which touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know I posted this in another section and I realised it was the wrong section.
I am after another touring cycle.
I have got a Raleigh Pioneer Venture @ the moment but not sure which one to buy any suggestions

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
I use mine for commuting and for pleasure rides so it needs to be an all rounder

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Oooh...it's going to get a bit heated! There are a lot of people who feel very strongly about their tourers!!

I have a Thorn and I love her more than anything else non-human in my life. I have an XTC which is an audax bike but I'm 5"1 and 8 1/2 stone (apart from in January) so don't need anything too robust. There are people on here who don't like Thorns and lots of people who think they're ugly and have too many spacers but there are as many people who love theirs very much.

The husband has a Dawes Supergalaxy. Dawes Galaxies (inc super/ultra) are well respected names in the touring market, but apparently not as good as they used to be.

Then you get the really beautiful, often custom made, puppies...like Hewitt and Roberts.

Americans seems to love their Surly Long Haul Truckers.

I guess budget also comes in to it!

Does that help, or confuse matters? In any case, more knowledgeable people than me will be along soon to help. At the end of the day though, you can tour on anything!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
vbc said:
How about another Raleigh, man?

The Raleigh Royal look like a value for money tourer.

Edinburgh Bike Co-op do reasonably priced tourers.

it's really a subjective thing and there is no definitive answer.

For what it's worth all four bikes of mine and a fifth that is about to be refurbished can all be used for touring but they are very different bikes:

Dawes Galaxy - made for the job
Dave Yates' Randonneur - audax/light touring
Ridgeback Adventure - hybrid but had a rack fitted and has been used for weekend tours.
Trek 4500 MTB - has the rack mounting points but would be the bike of last resort.

Look at your budget if it's in the £400-500 then the Edinburg and Raleigh bikes will serve yuo well.

If you have £600-700 then Dawes Galaxy

If you have even more to spend have a look at some of Cathryn's suggestions.

You could always buy second hand - there's some bargains to be had. I got my Dawes Galaxy for £200 and my Ridgeback for £70. The frame for my Dave Yeates was a snip at £240 vs list price of £740

Have look at adtrader.co.uk that's where I got my foirst two bikes, just be patient and something will turn up.

P.H

Über Member
A good place to start would be what you like and dislike about what you've already got. If it's the Pioneer GT they reviewed in Cycling Plus, it looks a decent bike, as good if not better than some of the suggestions so far. So what is it makes you want another?

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
P.H said:
A good place to start would be what you like and dislike about what you've already got. If it's the Pioneer GT they reviewed in Cycling Plus, it looks a decent bike, as good if not better than some of the suggestions so far. So what is it makes you want another?
unfortunately it isn't the Pioneer GT.
A touring bike is best for my needs, commuting, utility and pleasure.
strong well built

wafflycat

One which fits you within your price range

There's loads of brands out there, and many a decent bike. Many are very similar apart from the paintwork. So look for a brands with reasonable reputations, see what you can afford, try out at LBSs, and buy the one which fits you best.

blazingsaddles

Raleigh man,

Might be worth a look at thebikefactory website in chester. They've an offer on Raleigh Royal's on there website. £ 310.00 I think, but you could also ask if they will apply their current offer of 20% discount (valid until the 9th jan) to that. Now that would be cheap!

notthebuzzard

How far are you planning on riding? There'll be a test of four longer-distance tourers in the March issue of CPlus - on sale in early Feb - there's a Pearson, Kona, Thorn and Tout Terrain getting a good shakedown.

Beardie

Get a recumbent! I wouldn't be without my Linear; it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden and it even folds to go on the train. (Takes a bit longer than a Brompton though, I'll admit.) It easily takes enough luggage for cycle camping, even without being able to fit front panniers.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I spent six hours today riding with a Raleigh Royal owner while doing an audax. He's happy with the bike in the main but some short cuts have been taken to get the price down:

The mudguards are flimsy - serviceable but a short life is anticipated
The original tyres are poor - his developed a bleb on the ride and we sorted it with a tyre boot.

For audaxing it's fast enough - at one stage we were cruising at 30km/hr. For touring it's got all the mounting pints that you's want including the fuel bottle mounts on the underside of the front down tube.

The finis appears to be good and durable. The drive train is basic but can be upgraded later when it wears out.

At the current low prices £320 or thereabouts it is a bargain

Top Bottom