Which Turbo Tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrbez

Hi Guys,

Is it really more beneficial to get a turbo tyre?

Does it just stretch over the tyre on my wheel?

If so, can you suggest one off Amazon for me as I have some vouchers that I need to use.

Thanks in advance.

It saves the splatter up the wall, saves wearing out road tyres quickly and slips less. But it is a complete replacement for your existing tyre. I've got an old bike set up on the turbo with the tyre fitted, other folk have a spare wheel with the tyre fitted. I use the taxc trainer tyre but I can't say if its any better or worse than another, it does what I want anyway.

Shanks

I was given a turbo just before Christmas and didn't bother changing tyres, just bolted the bike in a rode hard. I reckon it took two good sessions to ruin my tyre for road use completely :rolleyes: It stripped a clear line of completely smooth rubber with a flat contour down the middle, and as HLaB says above left the residue on the wall and floor. And I found it slipped, it was OK once you are up to speed but just a nuisance and unsettling while you were getting going. I wouldn't risk it on the road now. I have since bought the Continental trainer tyre, only because it was £8 cheaper than the Trax version ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=trainer+tyre ) and although I cannot compare the two and the Trax may be a better product I know that the turbo is now much better. No slipping, no spray and quieter. I've done a few sessions on it and I cant see that it has altered the tyre in any way yet. Still haven't managed to explain to my wife why I now need another set of tyres.

OP
OP
M

Mrbez

Thanks guys. So the turbo tyre replaces my tyre on my rim. Therefore if I want to go out on the road I have to swap tyres again? How long does this take?

Shanks

Quicker than repairing a puncture, as it is the same process without all the repair stages - drop the wheel, change the tyre, set the wheel again. As HLaB says if you will be using it a lot then you may choose to get a spare wheel and set that up with the trainer tyre on then it's just a quick wheel swap each time. Alternatively, if you have the space, pick up a cheap bike from E-bay or similar and then set that up permanently fixed as the trainer bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even better get a spare wheel. You could use a cheap road tyre, so long as you don't go putting the roller tension too high. I use a spare tyre on a spare wheel, and just swap out (not that I've used the turbo for about a year).

OP
OP
M

Mrbez

I can get a spare wheel off a friend, so I would just need to buy a cassette and the turbo tyre and tube, right?

GrasB

Veteran
I'd recommend using a different wheel to mount a turbo specific tyre on. If you're changing tyres a lot you'll quickly find that you're likely to cause excessive wear/damage the tyres, tubes & rims.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's far easier just to have a spare bike for the turbo - no faffing about whatsoever then :thumbsup:

I tend to use the turbo all year round for the odd late night bike/run brick. A turbo specific tyre costs more than the tyres I use on the road so I just live with the shorter tyre life.

I tend to use the turbo all year round for the odd late night bike/run brick. A turbo specific tyre costs more than the tyres I use on the road so I just live with the shorter tyre life.

Pretty much my view plus the extra expense of getting a spare wheel and block if you don't have one and then messing around swopping it about when you decide you're going on the turbo, not the road.

I've only destroyed one tyre and that was my own fault, keep them pumped up, don't overtighten the contact knob, so wind up the bike from nothing slowly to avoid slipping untl you're going and for occasional use, once or twice a week or the odd 'period' of turbo you'll get away with it. I've just examined my new tyre, now with three hours of turbo use and no road yet and it looks the same as the front, not even lost the new moulding ridge in the centre.

OP
OP
M

Mrbez

That is what I was thinking, for the cost of the tyres, I could just use mine at the minute and then buy a new tyre when it wears out? Or will this happen really quick?

Thanks.

Top Bottom