Which type of bike is best...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

memoman

Hi all, :smile:

I really want to do LEJOG next July when my GCSE's are over. I've done DofE which was good, but I want to do the next level. And I feel LEJOG would be a great challenge and something to look forward to when I'm sat in that exam room. Hopefully a good friend of mine, with whom I did DofE, will feel the same!

I have a passion for cycling, but I don't really have a clue in the mechanical side other than fixing a puncture. So I don't know which type of bike would be best for LEJOG. It would have to carry all my camping equipment, clothes, food etc... Which is why I think a strong MTB would be best. I am thinking of buying a cheap MTB and modifying it with panniers and new tyres. Is this a good idea. Perhaps some of you might have done this before...

Look forward to your replies,
Ollie

Mitz

Hi Ollie
Well, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I'm still preparing for mine in September. If you see what I saw when I skimmed the forums, there will be any number of variations on peoples thoughts of what is best, but tbh I'm not sure buying a cheap converted MTB is the best idea, although of course it depends on your budget

I was told Dawes Galaxy overall, being the bike that seems to be mainly recommended for this. However that's not what I got in the end as I couldn't find one that I felt was well enough looked after for the price. So on advice I bought a hybrid Btwin R7, and to be honest on my rides over the last 6 or 700 miles it has done me fine. It may be out of your budget though, but I'm sure some of the more knowledgable on here may be able to offer a cheaper alternative

Maybe at your age you're a lot fitter then me though
biggrin.gif

How long are you thinking of doing in in?

Hi Ollie,
Welcome to the forum.
Your questions have been asked many times on here, so if you search through the threads you will find lots ideas.

If you already have a MTB, then if it in good order you can use that, however there are disadvantages to using a MTB, mainly the Geometry of the frame means that when you have the panniers fitted on a rack in some cases your heels will hit the Panniers. Also the geometry can make the riding style a tad uncomfortable for long distances.

Saying that I use a MTB for touring, but I built it up to suit myself and my riding style, and the fact I like to head off the tarmac road during my travels.

As you have sometime before your planned trip, you have time to gain info on here, as I think you will be getting lots of good advice.

It’s not the Bike which is the only thing which need planning, the LEJOG can be a hard task master, you have long daily mileage to do, in most cases it a 10 day run at least but more like 14 days, though some super fit guys on road bikes do it in silly times. You have to arrange your night stops, whether you will camp or use B&B, and one main annoying problem is getting to and from your start and finish

There you go, I hope that not put you off..LOL

Bob G.

OP
OP
M

memoman

Thanks for that Mitz.

I'm looking for comfort and reliability more than speed. So 2 - 2.5 weeks is a comfortable target I think.

What I was thinking with the bike is to get an old sturdy MTB from a good make like Giant for under £100. Then spend another £100-200 to convert it into a lean, mean touring machine! :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

memoman

Hi Ollie,
Welcome to the forum.
Your questions have been asked many times on here, so if you search through the threads you will find lots ideas.

If you already have a MTB, then if it in good order you can use that, however there are disadvantages to using a MTB, mainly the Geometry of the frame means that when you have the panniers fitted on a rack in some cases your heels will hit the Panniers. Also the geometry can make the riding style a tad uncomfortable for long distances.

Saying that I use a MTB for touring, but I built it up to suit myself and my riding style, and the fact I like to head off the tarmac road during my travels.

As you have sometime before your planned trip, you have time to gain info on here, as I think you will be getting lots of good advice.

It’s not the Bike which is the only thing which need planning, the LEJOG can be a hard task master, you have long daily mileage to do, in most cases it a 10 day run at least but more like 14 days, though some super fit guys on road bikes do it in silly times. You have to arrange your night stops, whether you will camp or use B&B, and one main annoying problem is getting to and from your start and finish

There you go, I hope that not put you off..LOL

Bob G.

Thanks for your advice too!

I am like you, I like to cycle "off the beaten track." So I thought hybrids were a bit flimsy and not robust enough for this.

I know what you mean with the panniers on your ankles though, and I'll have to keep this in mind...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If you are carrying all your camping equipment etc., depending on your weight you might want to read this and see what tyre pressure range is required for the tyre width that will let you ride comfortably all day for a couple of weeks, and from those info and puncture resistance requirement etc. pick your tyres. I wouldn't use any knobbly for LeJog. Slicks, such as Continental Sport Contact, would imho be great for mtbs for the purpose.

Ticktockmy's warnings about the potential pitfalls of using a mtb are spot on. I don't see a decent hybrid from a main brand being too flimsy for LeJog. The advantage of a hybrid, like a mtb, is that it is likely to have the low gears you will need with all that luggage, but unlike a mtb it would most likely have been designed and kitted out to carry carriers and panniers. Hybrids are also generally lighter and more efficient, especially those without suspension forks, such as the Ridgeback Velocity, e.g., which you can probably pick up for the price range you mentioned.

One of the reasons why most people use a tourer with drop bars is because they allows numerous hand positions for all the hours on the road. If you end up getting a flat bar bike, you might want to consider putting bar ends on to give yourself different hand positions.

I am sure you already know that comfort is critical for making such a journey a joy, so getting a bike that is the right size, setting it up perfectly for your physique, having the right tyres and pressure, the correct saddle for your sit bones etc. are all going to be worthwhile considerations.

I did LeJog over 25 years ago, I still remember it fondly. I am sure you will too - go for it!

willem

Über Member
I am a fan of the traditional British style drop bar tourer. However, an older steel mtb with rigid fork and comfy and fast 50 mm Schwalbe Big Apple tyres can be quite a good alternative, particularly if you plan longer stretches on bad roads.
Willem

OP
OP
M

memoman

That's what I was thinking Willem. Hybrids are good for nice and solid roads. However I do tend to like using the backroads. Also, thanks for your reply RAFN, very good advice.

Mitz

That's what I was thinking Willem. Hybrids are good for nice and solid roads. However I do tend to like using the backroads. Also, thanks for your reply RAFN, very good advice.

I'm afraid you're not quite right there.
I have Schwalbe tyres on my Hybrid, the whole thing weighs 16 kgs.

I have been "training" on country Spanish roads for the last 5 months and it has not been a problem. Country Spanish roads are not smooth tarmac unfortunately ... they can be pretty rough. Sure, I wouldn't go seriously off road but I have adjustable & lockable suspension on the forks and the whole thing has been very comfortable. You will be cycling over 1000 miles, and you want to have the easiest road set up you possibly can

I did my first month or so on a Raleigh mountain bike, and it was not pleasant, I can assure you

Mitz

Oooh I'm in a dilemma now. MTB or hybrid??

Well .... it's personal choice I guess at the end of the day ...... but think logically. What are you going to be using it for, and then decide from research on the forum what is the best bike for what you are going to be using it for. I know that sounds idiotic, but you are doing LEJOG, not cycling off road everywhere
thumbsup.png

BTW, the Dawes Galaxy I mentioned isn't a hybrid.

willem

Über Member
I fail to understand what Mitz means. There are Schwalbe tyres and there are Schwalbe tyres. The Big Apple is a fast and comfortable slick road tyre. Fit it to a mtb with a rigid steel fork and you have a rather nice tourer, provided of course that fit and geometry are right. Avoid stretched out racy geometries. It will not be a fast tarmac tourer, but it will be a tourer for backroads and gravel roads. Fit 26x1.75 Pasela TG tyres, and the bike will be even faster.
Willem

OP
OP
M

memoman

Sorry willem but I'm not sure what a rigid steel fork is...
blush.gif
As much as I love cycling, I'm a complete newbie to this hardcore stuff!

Also, is it possible to put some of those handlebar extensions (like on road bikes) on the sides of my bike to increase the riding positions?

I have persuaded one of my mates to join. Now I've got to persuade the other. Actually I probably won't need to, as he's an outdoory type chap.

Top Bottom