Which type of brakes should I go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drkash

Hi, first post so be nice!

I currently have a 8yr old cheap Apollo mountain bike which is quiet heavy. I'm looking at getting a new hybrid bike for road cycling 20-30km on weekends and also need something when causally going on trails and in the woods with the kids. Budget around £400-600. So far looking at bikes such as the Trek FX1, Trek FX2 Disc, Boardman HYB 8.6, Giant Escape 1/2 Disc.

My question is what kind of brakes should I be looking for? Rim brakes? Mechanical discs? Hydraulic discs?

A friend who is a keen cycler has advised me to avoid discs at this price point as they won't be good quality / reliable. I am not one to be able to do self maintenance so would end up going to a local bike store for maintenance and repairs so keen on something which is reliable and low maintenance.

Many thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re not commuting in traffic not riding in bad weather, rim brakes are absolutely fine as you’ll never wear the rims especially if you keep them clean. However most flat bar bikes do come with discs these days, they do add some weight and maintenance tho (a brake service shouldn’t be more that £25 though)

Top Bottom