Which types of vehicle are too important to stop behind ASL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cab said:
Delivery vans always seem to be the worst for encroaching in to ASLs.

But it would appear that white van drivers named bonj appear to be the worst for using mobile phones whilst stopped at traffic lights....:smile::sad:

Bonj,

on a completely unrelated matter, I owe you a GCR sticker don't I? Life's been very hectic recently. I'll need to get that sent off to you. I think I still have your addy....

Me on my motorbike.

Sorry.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Joe24 said:
I thought they brought in that you had to have the engine off, not just have your hand break on. I'm sure that came in when they ban came in.
Not meaning to annoy you or cause trouble, just saying.
no, i know what you mean joe. see reply to magnatom, my own sense of safety overrides the law sometimes. If that makes me a bad person well i'm a bad person. But i can't really be accused of being any less safe.
The way see it - the engine might aswell have been off.

gambatte said:
Bonj, is that part of the new IRR?

If so, where abouts?
yep. as you're going from the wicker down cutlers gate towards corporation street, that was at the traffic lights where nursery street turns off to the left.
i.e. going from J10 to J9 to J8 on http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/Easysit...%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2
the bending round to the right is actually the big roundabout that is marked as "J9 bridgehouses".

biking_fox said:
"climate-change-causing" Buses? Compared to everyone on it cycling* maybe? But compared to everyone on it driving their own car, I think not.
even with cars, I think a 7.5 litre diesel engine would belch out just as much if not more emissions than 4 cars, but there you go...

Here in S manchester it's mosty taxis that feel the ASL is not applicable to them. Buses a bit, but mostly because I'm never sure that they actually knwo where the front of their vehicle is.

If I'm feeling grumpy I'll stop my bike in directly front of the vehicle in the ASL, and then be extra slow pulling away so that they lose the seconds they thought they'd gain by being a metre ahead. I'll always make sure I'm out of the way of cars that respect the ASL.

magnatom said:
But it would appear that white van drivers named bonj appear to be the worst for using mobile phones whilst stopped at traffic lights....:biggrin::smile:

Whatever :biggrin: I don't pretend to be a perfect complier of the law, but with such imperfection not being a detriment to safety.

magnatom said:
Bonj,

on a completely unrelated matter, I owe you a GCR sticker don't I? Life's been very hectic recently. I'll need to get that sent off to you. I think I still have your addy....

yes, please - if you've still got one. you must be telepathic, i was just thinking about that today.
if you haven't got my address pm me.

i'll post a pic of it on my van :smile:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
yep. as you're going from the wicker down cutlers gate towards corporation street, that was at the traffic lights where nursery street turns off to the left.
i.e. going from J10 to J9 to J8 on http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/Easysit...%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2
the bending round to the right is actually the big roundabout that is marked as "J9 bridgehouses".

Where I figured....

That one, I find, generally isn't too bad. The one entering J9 from Mowbray street is encroached virtually every time.

Seeing as theres plenty of the advance stop boxes in Sheffield and its an offence to stop in them....

I wonder how many drivers have actually had a ticket, or even a warning?

Maybe the info would be available under FOI? I'd be surprised if it wa s anything above zero.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
biking_fox said:
If I'm feeling grumpy I'll stop my bike in directly front of the vehicle in the ASL, and then be extra slow pulling away so that they lose the seconds they thought they'd gain by being a metre ahead. I'll always make sure I'm out of the way of cars that respect the ASL.
I have to admit to doing that on occasion.

This week I pulled up at some red lights - narrow road at this point so I'm in a primary position in an ASL. A car pulled up behind me, didn't take any notice of it ... lights changed to Green and car immediately beeped me. Annoyed at them I pulled away slowly, then they went past me politely when safe and that's when I noticed my boss and my boss's boss in the car waving frantically at me - opps:blush:.

Top Bottom