Which tyre for Audax cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I had a blizzard once I think it lasted a week, a single hard stop took all the rubber off the rear for three or four inches

OP
OP
DooBlood

DooBlood

Thank you all for your replies/advice/suggestions etc ... The Krylions seem to be a good choice. I have tried the Gatorskins before but did not rate them because they punctured and were a real menace to get back on after fixing said puncture.

nightoff

+1 for Krylions. I've had mine for a couple of weeks/200+miles and found them to be a revelation from a handling point of view.

I bought them to replace the stock Zaffiros which I found to be very twitchy on greasy early morning roads.

The new tyres are much grippier. Can't comment on wear rates but they roll fast and grip well.

I can't complain about the Zaffiros too much though. No punctures in 1500 miles and still life in the tyre. I just fancied a change.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+1 krylion again I'm afraid.

3K on my set so far and they're still fine. They do tend to cut up a little bit, and I've found they start to "look" tatty very quickly, evem=n though they continue to perform perfectly

vorsprung

Veteran
Here is my actual experience of actual tyres on actual audax rides

1) 2004-2005 Continental Ultragator Skins, 28mm no punctures on events, 4 or 5 when the tyres got to a worn state during other riding

2) 2005-2007 Pasella Panaracer 28mm, 1 puncture during Poor Student 200km in Jan 2007 and another 4 or 5 during other riding

3) 2007 Continental 4 Seasons 28mm, lots of punctures during events (but none during wet PBP)

Also 2006-2011 used Michelin Pro Race 25mm on several audax rides, no punctures inc very wet potholed Bryan Chapman Scenic 2006

4) 2008 on the dole so used a mixture of worn out tyres from the garage. Lots of punctures

9) 2009 Continental 4 Seasons 28mm, more punctures

10) 2010 Rubino Pro 28mm, 2 punctures during events and a couple when not on events

11) 2011 Michelin Krylion 25mm, not done much mileage on them yet

The Ultragator skins do not have great wet grip and are relatively heavy. But they roll fast
Pasella Panaracer are not quite as fast rolling and robust as the Ultragators but are lighter and grippier
Michelin Pro Race 25mm are the fastest tyres I've ever used, they grip like glue and I've never punctured on them
Continental 4 Seasons are fantastic, right up there with the Michelins until they've done 2000km. Then they puncture all the time and this is tedious
Rubino are similar to the Panaracer Pasella but have a slicker tread
Krylions, can't tell yet but not unpleasant

As someone else said don't run your tyres at 120psi for long distance riding. I am currently on 90 psi front, 100 rear

Top Bottom