which tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'm on some michelin 2.0's somethingorother which are a bit.......poncey for the stuff I end up riding when I go out with Dave. He's on spesh eskar tubeless. I don't want/can't be arsed with tubeless systems.

So, can anyone recommend a 2.1-2.3 middleweight tyre that can handle wet roots and loose stuff?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've been very happy with the Continental Vertical 2.3 (although it's more like a 2.1).

Cubist

Still wavin'
Another vote for Contis, but I like the Slash on loose stuff(best as a rear tyre) and a Gravity on the front. Can you find a Niobby Nic at dead right money, they're a good bet.

cjb

Another vote for Contis, but I like the Slash on loose stuff(best as a rear tyre) and a Gravity on the front. Can you find a Niobby Nic at dead right money, they're a good bet.

Very useful advice. I'm currently building up a new bike (long term winter project) and the tyres are a problem, because of the amount of road that needs to be covered between off-road sections where I live. I had considered the Nobby Nic because of its reputed rolling performance on relatively smooth surfaces. Or have I got this completely wrong?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cheers so far. Does anyone have experience of maxxis high rollers? They seem to be popular 'round our way......

No, except a mate rides on them and swears by them. Cubester rides on Maxxis Minion DHF. Not the lightest of tyres but he swears by the grip they give, (he runs softer 40a compound front and 60a compound rear, but unless you want some seriously planted front end go 60a front. Single ply are cheaper and lighter. (Best deal I can find is NextDayTyres http://www.easylaces.co.uk/Tyres/Maxxis/Minion-DHF.aspx?ID=77)

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
best tyres ive found so far are maxxis crossmarks ive had ignitors high rollers and mountain kings. cross marks roll great and the grip in the corners are really well ive converted my friend to them from high rollers also i hear good things about nobby nic's

cjb

Very useful advice. I'm currently building up a new bike (long term winter project) and the tyres are a problem, because of the amount of road that needs to be covered between off-road sections where I live. I had considered the Nobby Nic because of its reputed rolling performance on relatively smooth surfaces. Or have I got this completely wrong?

Just ordered a pair of Nobby Nic Evos for my new-build project, so we'll see how it goes.

paxterg

Veteran
LBS has advised me to go with continental mountain king folding tyre. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Hicky

Guru
Dan, I've got some nobblies that came of the wifes myka....spesh something or other pm me if you're interested.

Muddy Ground

Mud-X are pretty good, and there are deals on the web. Don't forget though that quite often it's how you work the tyres that counts, along with pressures. Try dropping the psi a tad, plus get off the saddle and load the outside pedal a bit more. Never know; may save you £40+.

MG

cjb

best tyres ive found so far are maxxis crossmarks ive had ignitors high rollers and mountain kings. cross marks roll great and the grip in the corners are really well ive converted my friend to them from high rollers also i hear good things about nobby nic's

MBR put Crossmarks on the bikes in a recent hard-tail head to head comparison.

Top Bottom