Which tyres for my Ladies MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fenfirsttimer

I had my bike serviced today and the chap suggested I change the tyres soon as they are getting worn. I didn't spend any more time asking him about them as I was parked on double yellows & had been in the shop some time already and thought it would be as easy to check on the net but......

I looked at the name & number on the current ones and it is Camel 26 x 19.0 (50-559)

Most of the tyres I see are 26 x 19.5 - would that make much difference?

Any recommendations for a good value tyre for a novice cyclist who is doing most cycling on roads and sand/gravel paths and not much true off road biking.

soulful dog

Veteran
I'm not 100% sure of the MTB tyre sizing, but I presume you mean the tyres are 26 x 1.9 or 26 x 1.95?

I don't think there's really any difference between the two, or it's minimal. The size range of 26" MTB tyres is roughly from 26 x 1.0 to 26 x 2.5. Generally speaking the higher the figure the wider the tyre and you don't need to stick with the exact same size as your bike should be able to take slightly narrower or wider tyres without any problems. The main thing to watch out for is the clearance, if you put on wider tyres and they rub against the frame, then your bike doesn't have the clearance for such a wide tyre!

Riding mostly on roads and gravel paths you probably could use a slicker tyre instead of the knobbly ones that come with many MTBs. A lot of people use Schwalbe Marathon tyres for their puncture protection, Chain Reaction Cycles currently have the 1.75 & 2.0 sizes for £16 - here. If you want something cheaper, if you have a Decathlon store near you, have a look to see what they have available.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I've just got around to putting Schwalbe City Jets 26 x 1.5 on my MTB (which really only gets used on road and tow-paths these days). I reckon my average speed has gone up by about 3 mph.

Top Bottom