Which tyres from this selection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi, am due to have a Whyte Montpellier sports hybrid delivered from these guys (Wheelebase.co.uk) soon but not too keen on the tyres it comes with,(Maxis detonators 700 x 28c, I've heard they are just so prone to punctures.

If I get them to swap them out for something else in their range what would you recomend? A good mix of roll and puncture resistance is what i'm after....

here is the link to their tyre range....

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/components/tyres/road-tyres/

Not a great range and i'll not want to be spending earth a la page 2

Cheers,

ssd.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Gatorskins all day for me.

I've used Bontrager ones in the past and found them incredibly slippery in the wet.

AndyRM

XOXO
Good choice. Bontrager was originally based in Sunnyvale, California. That should give you an idea of how rigorous their wet weather testing was.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Conversely I much prefer the Racelight Hardcase to the Gatorskins, largely because the gators are bloody lethal in wet conditions (oh and punctured regularly).
Tyres are like saddles though, one persons perfection is anothers PITA.

DWiggy

Über Member
My Gators seem sufficiently grippy in the wet, never had them give me cause for concern. They are perfect winter/commuting tyres IMHO

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I use Bontrager racelights in all weathers on my commuter bike and feel very confident on them wet or dry.

potsy

Rambler
GP 4 seasons out of that lot but £50 per tyre :ohmy:

zacklaws

Guru
The Bontrager race lites I found too slippery in the wet, first outing on them in the wet, I was wheel spinning climbing a 16% slope and then crashed descending it at only 19mph on a slight bend, according to my Garmin downloads, I have always took that bend at 29mph in the wet. I was glad to get them off and get back onto Conti 4000 GP S. Bontager all weather, are to heavy and too much rolling resistance.

Top Bottom