Which virtual trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cliveyp

ive borrowed a Tacx Vortex Smart from a friend, initially as a gentle leg turner to see if my knee will survive some longer road rides now, but due to lack of free time to get out on the actual roads, I was also going to hit it regularly over the next couple of weeks to get me back to match fit ready for London.

Question is, which virtual training package do I look at? What is the benefit of each of them over another?

I use trainerroad. It's structured, which I like. I have a vortex smart which I use on it. However, it needs a balls out workout on the trainer to establish your FTP which may not be the best thing for an injury.
I have no experience of anything else to compare it too, so just my 2p worth.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If you want video rides or simple workouts/plans (sufferfest etc) then Trainer Road

If you want a library of video rides and some multiplayer Bkool

If you want an open world with hundreds of riders and a really brutal selection of routes on a single course ZWIFT

They're all roughly the same monthly cost, it comes down to what you want and what your pc/laptop can run

h1udd

I have just been through this and in the end settled with a wahoo kickr snap and Zwift. So far loving it, and learnt a lot about hiw far I can actually push myself, just trying to stay ahead, stick with, or catch up with other riders is really pushing me.

My quads are like jelly thanks to this mornings effort on the mountain 8 .... I have never had quad DOMS from real life cycling

OP
OP
C

cliveyp

Zwift is pretty resource intensive isn't it? I was looking at it as a serious option but will need to check the spec of my laptop before I give it a go. The thought of an open world with lots of competition to keep me going is very tempting thugh!

I was contemplating giving TrainerRoad a go tonight (I can always cancel it after a couple of weeks if I don't like it) and just take it a little easier on the FTP run for this attempt - I guess I can always re-run it in the future when I feel fit again?

Cheers for the help all.

Top Bottom