Which way round should my fixie sprocket go?

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by swee'pea99, 26 Apr 2010.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

(And no, I haven't got the old one off yet but...) The sprocket has one flat side, like a smooth disc, and one with a 2mm ridged section round the hole. Does it matter which side I mount towards the hub, or should I just do whichever makes it easiest to get a straight chainline?

2. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

[quote name='swee'pea99']should I just do whichever makes it easiest to get a straight chainline?[/QUOTE]

yes, obviously after checking that the spoke/chain clearance is sufficient if you mount it inwards:smile:

3. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

generally the shoulder goes in toward the hub... generally, unless that compromises your chainline.

4. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

I put mine on with the shoulder inwards. But only because it gave a perfect chainline. If the correct chainline had needed the smooth side to the inside, then I would have put it in that way.

5. OP
    OP
    swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Thanks chaps.

6. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Surely it will only screw on one way?
    The lip normally goes towards the middle of the wheel.

7. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

you mean clockwise. like putting a nut on a bolt.
    i reckon you'll fell a bit of a plonker when you think about it:tongue::biggrin:

8. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

9. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

They're designed to go with the shoulder in, evidenced by the labelling (if any) being on the other side. However, technically it makes no difference and as other people have said, put it the "wrong" way round if it fixes your chainline.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice