Which wheels for a commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Of course the shimano on are better but as mentioned spoke count is lower on them , if you have a spoke go the wheel could go so out if true it might be unridable.
Currently running wheels like the one the OP linked to amazon and for pot hole infested roads they are fine . in fact you could do worse than popping ver to decathlon for the own wheels

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Can you explain your pov to the OP so they can make a call, because our opinions differ on this.
Certainly - alloy does not like being repeatedly bent. Steel doesn't mind. That's why springs are steel, rather than alloy.
In a world where the right size hub exists, why would you consider buying the wrong size hub?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Certainly - alloy does not like being repeatedly bent. Steel doesn't mind. That's why springs are steel, rather than alloy.
In a world where the right size hub exists, why would you consider buying the wrong size hub?
I'm not proposing any repeat bending though, which is why I'd be comfortable doing it, even given the nature of aluminium alloy. A rear dropout/triangle is somewhat different to a spring in its application.

Why? Well, because I took the trouble to have a look in a couple of trusted suppliers, found a couple of pairs of wheels that I thought were particularly good quality at a good price, which met the OP's criteria.

Here you go OP - similar in road flavour
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-tiagra-mach-road-wheels-56012.html?source=PHG

We could probably both agree on these later ones I found for the OP - thereby avoiding any possibility of catastrophic failure due to repeat flexing.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-28700c-mavic-a-319-shimano-deore-610-hybrid-wheelset-716633

36 front and rear, quality components throughout, from a supplier with a great reputation. Rated 140kg, will cope with anything you hit/ride over. Fit and forget.

If a job's worth doing and all that.

I had Mavic 319 wheels on my Rose ebike.

Bomb proof aver 5,000+ miles on a heavy bike (and rider).

It wasn't until I bought a Cannondale mountain bike that I realised wheels fell apart - the bike was only £1,000 so I suppose quality components was asking too much.

Top Bottom