Which Wheels To Use??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Hello good and knowledgeable cyclists,

I've bought an extra set of wheels for my bike, so that I can have one set with road tyres on and one with knobblies for off road. Trouble is I'm not sure which wheels to use for what?

My new Genesis Altitude came with Shimano RM65 hubs and Alex DP-17 rims and I've bought a pair of Mavic Crossride wheels. Basically I want to use the strongest wheels for off road.

You would assume that the Mavic wheels would be better quality wheels but they have less spokes, 24 as opposed to 32 on the Shimano/Alex. Also, after ordering the Mavics I found a stack of revues that suggest they're maybe not the strongest wheels in the world:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/wheelset/mavic/crossride-disc/PRD_414932_157crx.aspx

Do any of you have any experience that might help me decide? The wheels with road tyres on will do a lot more miles but take less abuse obviously. Any advice would be most welcome, thank you :0)

papercorn2000

Go to Clachan of Campsie, go into the shop which looks like it has been broken into and talk to the exceedingly sarcastic owner (Alister Gow) about your problem. He will build you an extremely good pair of wheels at a very reasonable price.
Also try John at Cyclelane on Cathcart Rd or Paul in Rock and Road in Bridge of Allan.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Thank you, but I have the Mavic wheels in my living-room?

I've be over to wheelcraft a couple of times, great guy Alistair. It is good advice and I wish I'd thought of it before I bought anything!

I have a set of Mavic Crossrides which are now over 10 years old. They have been on a variety of road and mountain bikes and have never given me any trouble at all.

I am quite heavy on kit (being quite heavy!!) and they have been brilliant.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

ivancarlos said:
Mavics for off road mate.

So you reckon they'll be tougher than the other wheels? I can't see how, as they have less spokes, and I'm also a bit worried about the fact that you can't get spokes and other bits easily. A normal wheel can be sorted by any bike shop but they'd need to buy in the Mavic spokes.

Top Bottom