Which wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Evenings!!
I discovered a scary-looking crack / split in my rear wheel earlier, while I was cleaning the Carbon Uberbike.
So, I need some Shimano-compatible wheels, and I need them fairly quickly (so hand-built is probably out).
I want a pair, as I want matching wheels on this bike, and I can use the undamaged front I have on another bike.
Budget is up to £200 or so.
Suggestions?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think Aksiums are pretty strong, unless you can get CXP22s rims on some reasonable hubs. Or Fulcrum 5s ...
But then these would do perfectly!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/700c-(62...with-shimano-deore-m590-black-hubs-prod17972/

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think Aksiums are pretty strong, unless you can get CXP22s rims on some reasonable hubs. Or Fulcrum 5s ...
But then these would do perfectly!

http://www.sjscycles...hubs-prod17972/

Nice - but Deore is 135mm hub and the Doc's bike is likely to be 130mm

Parker will build Open Pros on 105 hubs - your choice of 32h or 36h, for little more than cost of components. Don't know how long they take, but it's an excellent combination IME.

P.H

Über Member
Do you not have a decent LBS? It looks like you've already got Open Pro rims, swapping the rim isn't a big job, most shops will do that same day if you need it for the cost of the rim + £20.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Do you not have a decent LBS? It looks like you've already got Open Pro rims, swapping the rim isn't a big job, most shops will do that same day if you need it for the cost of the rim + £20.

Ermmm...I've changed the wheels since I posted that photo.
The Open Pro wheels are on *nips out to garage to check* my touring bike.
My various bikes lead a somewhat chameleonic existence between them.
My buggered wheel is a Bontrager Race Light. And yes, it's 130mm OLD.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
How much do I weigh? :blush: A figure that's far too embarrassing to reveal.

Easton EA50s get a bit of a slating on BR, so I might give them a miss. Plus they're a little pricy..
I like the look of the Fulcrum 5s though.
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There is not. I'm really just after suggestions for wheels, not some sort of guess-my-weight competition.
Unless people are prepared to stump up an entry fee?
*hopeful*

e-rider

crappy member
How much do I weigh? :blush: A figure that's far too embarrassing to reveal.

Easton EA50s get a bit of a slating on BR, so I might give them a miss. Plus they're a little pricy..
I like the look of the Fulcrum 5s though.
thumbsup.png

yes, I've heard that tyre fitting is an issue, and the alloy freehub body can have problem depending on the cassette carrier used. perhaps ignore my advice on these then!

'if' you are heavy, get a pair of 36h handbuilt wheels with double walled, double eyeleted rims and DB spokes with brass nipples

something like Shimano 105 hubs on Rigida Chrina rims with DT swiss DB spokes would come in slightly under budget

Top Bottom