Which Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jakecundy

I will soon be heading off on my first 5 day tour. It is all on road and I will be using a road bike with around 10kg in a saddle bad and 5 in a handlebar bag. I weigh 85kg. I am looking to replace the wheels with something a little more sturdy. So I have been looking and found some mavic open pros laced to tiagra hubs... Any thoughts? And any other suggestions?

sabian92

Über Member
10KG in a saddle bag?

Do you have a pannier hanging from your seat? That's mental!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My handbuilts are Tiagra, to DRC ST18II. I think Mavic are a bit overpriced atm. Wheels are 3x, 32 spoke.

I've commuted on them (me + fairly packed Carradice lowsaddle longflap) but never toured.

OP
OP
J

jakecundy

No I haven't got that set up, although it would be quite amusing!
I have a Carradice camper longflap, attached the the seat most, currently thinking about getting a support for it.
Mavics do seem to be overpriced but they seem to have good reviews in some places and awful reviews in others, so I have no idea at all.
All i want is a strong set of wheels that I can use for road riding after I am done!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
No I haven't got that set up, although it would be quite amusing!
I have a Carradice camper longflap, attached the the seat most, currently thinking about getting a support for it.
Mavics do seem to be overpriced but they seem to have good reviews in some places and awful reviews in others, so I have no idea at all.
All i want is a strong set of wheels that I can use for road riding after I am done!

Is the plan to get them built, or build them yourself?

If the former, talk to your wheelbuilder, they'll probably have suggestions - that's why I have the set up I do (I didn't build that set, although I have built my wheels since).

PpPete

Legendary Member
So I have been looking and found some mavic open pros laced to tiagra hubs... Any thoughts?

Good combination for speed, strength and reasonably lightweight. Open Pros are amongst the lightest rims around, but are very strong. I've toured on mine (105 hubs) with no problems. Unfortunately the brakes tracks do wear quite quickly. They are not cheap either.
Rigida Chrinas are a little heavier, but just as strong and half the price. I'm going to try some Ambrosio Excellence next time.

Top Bottom