Which Wired Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
Should collect my new commuter tomorrow and want to buy a new stem mounted computer for it.

My preference is for wired (more reliable) and for it to be weather proof!

Don't need anything other than basic functions (time, speed, distance, total distance, av speed etc).

really don't want to go wireless and have problem with interferance etc....

Bigsharn

Veteran
The Cateye 5 is very reasonably priced but for a few £ more you can get a Cateye 8. I don't know a huge amunt of computers (in honesty I was going to post this very same topic today) but I hear more people talk about Cateye than any other brand.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes, plenty of people talking about the Velo 5 & 8's and maybe THIS is why?

Yes they are good value. Yes they are packed with the functions needed such as custom wheel sizes etc, but there does seem to be a tendency for them to stop working randomly or in damp conditions and although this might not be frequent it is common enough to be annoying and probably a reason not to buy one.

Having said that, I have had mine for about 5 years and found it otherwise perfect even though my brother managed to drop it onto the road at 30mph over the Christmas holidays (I was riding behind on my spare bike and watched it bounce and cartwheel down the road for 20-30 yards!). Despite the occasional 'not playing today' episode and lots of exposure to mud and physical abuse it still works well for the other 99.5% of the time.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have a ETC Mach 2, completely waterproof and enough functions for me, less than £10 these days.

Current Speed
Trip Distance
Odometer
Clock
Average Speed
Maximum Speed
Riding Time
Scan

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I have a ETC Mach 2, completely waterproof and enough functions for me, less than £10 these days.

Current Speed
Trip Distance
Odometer
Clock
Average Speed
Maximum Speed
Riding Time
Scan

Will it stem mount? I have a cheap Aldi one on my MTB which does all i need but it won't stem mount (not neatly anyway!)

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
The Cateye 5 is very reasonably priced but for a few £ more you can get a Cateye 8. I don't know a huge amunt of computers (in honesty I was going to post this very same topic today) but I hear more people talk about Cateye than any other brand.

Looks like these won't stem mount though? I want my bars free for lights :thumbsup:

BSRU

A Human Being
Will it stem mount? I have a cheap Aldi one on my MTB which does all i need but it won't stem mount (not neatly anyway!)

It's basically cabled tied to whatever you want, with a special rubber shim to stop it moving.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
sigma 1609 wired, stem and bar mounts and can be used for two bikes

I'm on my second AVO AD8 as the first one lost a piece of trim from the front (between the two buttons) and co-incidentally I got mist in the inside of the screen cover. This one needed a new battery after only a short period of use, though truth be told it's been OK since. Doesn't like cold weather, slows down noticeably when switching between screens.

johnsie

A word of advice on the Velo - dont use a very pointy thing to reset it. I had one a couple of years ago, used a pencil, and managed to muck up the switchy thing inside.

Just bought another one at Christmas for Mrs Johnsie (Good price and function), and knowing what I do now - have had no problems - just use a blunt pointy thing!

As a point of interest, the calorie counter doesn't work all the time - Rode a few miles to the pub - calorie counter incremented to 116. Went in to pub, drank a pint, came out - calorie count still showing 116!

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
maybe i'm wrong but the velo 8 doesn't look like it's stem mount - a stem kit is available but it's almost £15.00

May as well spend more on the computer if that's the case...

Top Bottom