whilst changing innertube...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ricd11

... On the rear wheel I gave the sprockets a wipe down and noticed the nut-looking piece in the centre by the smallest sprocket was freely moving. Is this normal or should it be tightened? As you can tell i'm not the sharpest tool when it comes to bike maintenance so hope i make sense, although i'd say my changing tube technique was exemplary :smile:

rusky

CC Addict
Sounds like the lock nut for the bearing cone. The one below the yellow arrow?

k7hub-lockring.jpg

Does the wheel wobble?

Get it sorted ASAP!

OP
OP
R

Ricd11

yes, thats the one below the arrow. The bike has literally just had a service and haven't done any miles on it since then, but i'm guessing there wasn't signs of wobbling as its the first service and they said it was fine. Unless i loosened it taking the weel off but i can't see that happening. So it needs to be screwed tight then?

Thanks for the reply

rusky

CC Addict
it needs to be tightened just right & is a pain (IMO) to get just right. I would take the wheel back to the shop & get them to sort it.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Ricd11 said:
So it needs to be screwed tight then?

No - this nut tightens up the cone against the ball bearings. If you overtighten then the wheel wont turn freely.

It has probably been set up correctly ( the wheel turns ok and there is no play)
and when on the bike it can't move so all you need do is make sure you don't undo it when the wheel is off.

OP
OP
R

Ricd11

There lies the problem, as i was cleaning the sprockets i brushed it and it turned, so then i tried to turn it back but it was just moving freely so had no idea if i turned it enough or too much. Would it be free to turn further in or out when set at the right level? That would seem a little odd to me :s

Thanks for the replies

Landslide

Rare Migrant
It should not move relative to the axle (i.e. along the thread) but the nut and axle assembly should turn freely, without any play.
If you're in any way unsure, I'd suggest taking it to the shop - if there's nowt wrong, they'll tell you in seconds, but if it does need adjusting, it needs to be done straight away, as a loose bearing assembly will quickly damage your hub.

jags

Guru
it needs to be tight if its loose the threads are probably knackered.take it back to bike shop.

Top Bottom