Whirring noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

I've dismantled the freehub and cleaned and lubed it. There was nothing obviously wrong that I could see but time and a proper road test will tell if I've cured it.

When you put it back on you need to over tighten the bolt and that drives the freehub an extra 2mm onto the hub , if you fail to do this like I did then the pawls hit the white plastic bearing in the hub causing a whirling noise when free wheeling like you say your hearing .

Have you also changed the batteries in your hearing aid?

zacklaws

Guru
How old was the freehub ?
The wheel had probably only done about 3000 miles before it started growling. At about 6500 miles the rim cracked and the plastic hub cracked as well. I'm now on my 5th replacement wheel in just over two years. Usually I only get 2500 miles out of them before the rims crack and then get them replaced under warranty. One of the wheels started growling well before the rim cracked and it would also lock up on me if I was riding slow over gravel or other slippery surface, if I was going fast on a firm surface, it could not lock up, but made hell of a racket and the whole bike would shudder.

I have read that you should service a Mavic hub every 6 months if you use it a lot, otherwise every 12 months

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've also had the Mavic 'scream of death' (that's what it becomes later) with Aksium hub. Tried feeding light oil (sewing machine/model railway oil) into the back of the freehub while on the hub with limited success. Removed freehub, cleaned everything and re lubed. Successful. Seems to occur after wheels have been unused for a period. Maybe the very light oil drains out of the freehub?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've also had the Mavic 'scream of death' (that's what it becomes later) with Aksium hub. Tried feeding light oil (sewing machine/model railway oil) into the back of the freehub while on the hub with limited success. Removed freehub, cleaned everything and re lubed. Successful. Seems to occur after wheels have been unused for a period. Maybe the very light oil drains out of the freehub?
It's true that mine has had little use for a couple of months.
I stripped it all down and had the first ride out on it today with no 'mavic murder malarkey'. Not conclusive yet but a good sign.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am going to squeeze in my monthly 100 km ride before the end of Feb and that should give my fettled Aksiums a good test. There are some fast descents 3 or 4 miles long on my route and it was those descents that produced the Mavic 'scream of death' last week.

Top Bottom