Whiskey question ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interesting. I've always been under the impression that the newly-distilled spirit was colourless, and the colour developed from the casks it was matured in.

What do the distilleries that don't use old sherry casks use instead ?
I went on a factory tour once (Cameron Bridge) and it was clear. The guide told us that many years ago it got the amber colour from the casks it was stored in. Now people expect/want it to be that colour so it is done for that purpose.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As long as it's a step up from Bells I’d be happy.
It could hardly be a step DOWN from Bells ^_^
IMO of course:laugh:

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
In part of the programme it looked clear , this particular distillery do not blend their produce ftom other scources , but to keep a consistant flavour they 'marry' 3 barrels of thier own at a time , its a time honoured process ,
The programme was a Made in Britain production if you can get it on catch up Tele its worth a look at

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had a tour round the Cotswold Distillery recently. Their use of specially-treated sherry or port barrels was very interesting. The whisky was very special. A friend had bought a barrel of spirit three years ago & was deciding on whether to wait or to bottle it. We had a little taste and it was stunning.

Highland Park is one of my favourites, just rich enough in flavour. Penderyn is also very good, in my opinion, but it is all rather a matter of personal taste.

subaqua

What’s the point
I had a tour round the Cotswold Distillery recently. Their use of specially-treated sherry or port barrels was very interesting. The whisky was very special. A friend had bought a barrel of spirit three years ago & was deciding on whether to wait or to bottle it. We had a little taste and it was stunning.

Highland Park is one of my favourites, just rich enough in flavour. Penderyn is also very good, in my opinion, but it is all rather a matter of personal taste.

the original higland park was very very nice, then they went all poncy with the viking ranges and it just isnt as good.

Penderyn is lovely, the portwood and sherrywood especially ..

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
If you like a peaty dram, this from Lidl is amazingly good value. It's not quite as inyerface peaty as Laphroig (which some might actively prefer), but at a fair bit under £20, it's my occasional special treat.

I did not word my post to well , its the 'peaty' ones im not keen on

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I went on a factory tour once (Cameron Bridge) and it was clear. The guide told us that many years ago it got the amber colour from the casks it was stored in. Now people expect/want it to be that colour so it is done for that purpose.

Thanks, but I'm still none the wiser about what they use when they aren't using casks.

PK99

Legendary Member
Thanks, but I'm still none the wiser about what they use when they aren't using casks.

By law, scotch whisky must be aged for a minimum 3 years in oak casks. Single malts are aged much longer.

It is the casks that give whisky its colour and complexity.

Bourbon must be matured in new oak, hence many Scottish distilleries manufacture cask in the US, rent out for a year to bourbon makers and then ship to the UK for aging scotch.

Rules:
As of 23 November 2009, the Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009 (SWR) define and regulate the production, labeling, packaging as well as the advertising of Scotch whisky in the United Kingdom. They replace previous regulations that focused solely on production. International trade agreements have the effect of making some provisions of the SWR apply in various other countries as well as in the UK. The SWR define "Scotch whisky" as whisky that is:[1][3]

• Produced at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley (to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added) all of which have been:
    • Processed at that distillery into a mash
    • Converted at that distillery to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems
    • Fermented at that distillery only by adding yeast
    • Distilled at an alcoholic strength by volume of less than 94.8% (190 US proof)
  • Wholly matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres (185 US gal; 154 imp gal) for at least three years
  • Retaining the colour, aroma, and taste of the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production and maturation
  • Containing no added substances, other than water and plain (E150A) caramel colouring
  • Comprising a minimum alcoholic strength by volume of 40% (80 US proof)

Interesting. I've always been under the impression that the newly-distilled spirit was colourless, and the colour developed from the casks it was matured in.

What do the distilleries that don't use old sherry casks use instead ?

To add to @PK99 's post...

Yes, the distilled spirit is clear (or at least should be!)

The cask must be oak and traditionally sherry casks were in abundance because sherry was shipped in bulk from Spain & Portugal.
Bourbon casks are also used as they are relatively cheap because by law, they can only be used once. (A senator who owned large oak forests was influential in passing the law!)
Other than that, casks are made and charred/burned on the inside and are used.
Other previous ingredients can be wine, port, brandy, rum etc, although depending on the product it may not be suitable for maturing, instead used to "finish" - taking a mature whisk(e)y and putting it into a different type of cask to add extra dimensions of colour and flavour.

To add to the complications, there are, of course, lots of different types of sherry, or wine for example. And the casks have a limited life span, or more accurately, the previous contents become less significant with every use or with the passing of time. So a "First fill" port cask may be quite unsuitable for maturing a whisk(e)y, but after used a few times for "finishing" a whisk(e)y it may well be suitable.

A distillery here in Holland (technically Friesland) wanted to be the first Dutch whisky distillery and under pressure from another company rushed out a batch of red wine cask matured whisky to a lot of acclaim. I missed out on the first batch, but got a couple of bottles of the second.... absolutely vile!
That's a serious problem for new distilleries - they really have no idea how their whiskies will develop and mature.

Just a note on colour. As @PK99 pointed out, caramel is allowed.
Distilleries will argue that it is flavourless and is used only so that each batch will look similar to the next. Arguments can be made that the visual presentation can influence people's expectations and thus, the taste.
I had a 21 year old whisky that had barely a tint of yellow to it - it was almost water-like (in colour!) Many people could not believe it was so old as they "expected" such an old whisky to be much darker.
Distilleries are very reluctant to disclose this to their customers. Distilleries market on the "purity" of their product, so a colouring undermines that message.
However, the good old Germans insist that all additives are highlighted on food/drink labels, so labels in Germany must have "Mit Farbstof" if the caramel is present.
Something that is not highlighted on this side of the Atlantic is the fact that Bourbon is the "purest" of the whiskies due to the fact that absolutely nothing can be added!

If new to scottish tea then Aldi usually do a 25 yo + for the 50-60 squid mark that is not bad at all, around xmas time. Failing that Glenmorangies maturer offerings are worth the extra.

Top Bottom