Whisky Flavours/tastes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My son bought me a lovely Christmas present. Each month I get a different minature whisky. The supplier emails me to say "this month it is xyz and its in the post.
Below is the expert taster guide for the March sample. Its Inchgower 14 year old.
Why can't they do one that tastes like whiskey :wacko:

The nose is quite light and delicate. There is a zesty tang with notes of sugary citrus, hints of stemmy hay and a gentle breeze pushing barley in a Summer field. Tones of blossom and apple peel with cocoa. The palate is fresh with hay and petals, notes of arak and well-balanced tannins. There are some spicy notes with cystallized stem ginger. The finish is of medium length with spice and a tangy citrus note.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I quite like Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. Here is a bit of his review:

"The light powdering of phenols is a pleasant surprise and does nothing to subtract from this distillery's charm."

Scores 89/100. Aged over 14 years.

Really cool present BTW.

Drago

Legendary Member
Laphroaig.

Smells like a mouldy old duffel coat with pockets full of horse manure, but tastes like angels have set up a distillery on my tastebuds.

11/10 - anything else is for lightweight Englishmen who think they know about single malt. The sort of people who think Bon Jovi is heavy metal.

postman

Legendary Member
Nobbery at it's finest,shades of what,delicate palate,do you enjoy it.Well then it's a fine whisky.My tipple at the moment is Monkey Shoulder.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I can't drink Laphroaig ever since I sicked up an entire evening's worth of over indulgence somewhere in the Fens in the late 90s. Even a smell of it, that extreme peat smoke, has me immediately thinking of sick. It's a pretty unique whisky though, with a unique smell. Bonfires basically.

I do still like whisky though, my favourite is Highland Park, the normal (12 year old?) one. I get honey sweetness with a bit of heather scent, if we're getting all arty farty.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was in the business we set up a tasting panel for blending purposed. The worst nose was the chief blender and the best was a wee lassie from the office. You can make it taste of anything you fancy really.
Whiskey is Irish or American. Scotch is whisky.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Nobbery at it's finest,shades of what,delicate palate,do you enjoy it.Well then it's a fine whisky.My tipple at the moment is Monkey Shoulder.
Yep.... I like Monkey Shoulder but imo its over priced. I buy it when I see it on offer.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Laphroaig.

Smells like a mouldy old duffel coat with pockets full of horse manure, but tastes like angels have set up a distillery on my tastebuds.

11/10 - anything else is for lightweight Englishmen who think they know about single malt. The sort of people who think Bon Jovi is heavy metal.
Each to his own etc but I just don't like the peaty ones. Laphroaig, to me is like drinking TCP that has seriously gone off.

Drago

Legendary Member
Each to his own etc but I just don't like the peaty ones. Laphroaig, to me is like drinking TCP that has seriously gone off.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I can't drink Laphroaig ever since I sicked up an entire evening's worth of over indulgence somewhere in the Fens in the late 90s. Even a smell of it, that extreme peat smoke, has me immediately thinking of sick. It's a pretty unique whisky though, with a unique smell. Bonfires basically.

I do still like whisky though, my favourite is Highland Park, the normal (12 year old?) one. I get honey sweetness with a bit of heather scent, if we're getting all arty farty.

If you want bonfires then you want Ardbeg 10yo. After an evening of that my hands smelt of smoke the next day.

Laphroaig 10 is medicinal (iodine) in taste and effect and is ace.

Top Bottom