Whisky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

Sounds interesting, their 'own brand' Scottish single malt turned out to be made by bruichladdich!

Sent from my bum.

In that case, I will purchase one.

There is one good whiskey around and that is Bushmills from Northern Ireland. Incidently, you can actually see Islay from the distillery on a clear day. I did that 10 years ago. Memorable !

Sent by SmokeSignals 2.0

rvw

Guru
In my list would be Glenmorangie (fino sherry wood finish for preference), Rosebank (which I don't think you can get any more) and - perhaps controversially - Penderyn. As well as probably quite a lot of others...

sunnyjim

I am normally a teetotaller. But on a cold autumn/winter night, nothing is better than a whisky. Black Bottle is what I prefer although I once had a 20 bottles big single malts whisky collection.

Whisky is made by, in and for cold, rainy dark evenings.

.....which is a good oppurtunity to claim that a bike ride to and from Islay is something everyone here should do at least one time in their lives. It is not a bike ride though. It is a pilgrimage. It is our Mekka.

Cycling to Islay looks like a bit of a challenge from any direction. The hill out of Port Askaig looks like a killer. Great place to sail to if you don't mind a bit of rock dodging. Lagavoulin has it's own pier in a sheltered bay, which is perfect for distillery visits - I sprained an ankle dancing at a 12 hour free-bar ceilidh there, and curiously got no sympathy whatever.
One of the attractions of a holiday on the W coast of Scotland is the frequency of cold, rainy evenings. Even in summer they get slightly dark for a while, so whisky can always be consumed.

toroddf

The hill out of Port Askaig is bad for hardly one mile. The rest of the island is dead flat. But it has some stunning views towards Jura. I went there in 2009 on an impulse and does not regret that. I will be back again and will include Jura and it's distillery next time.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Monkey shoulder,not a spirit drinker but had some good cocktails made using it,it's as smooth as James bonds silk undies

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I love good whisky, so I don't buy it. I already drink too much as it is - if I started getting spirits in, that would be the beginning of the end. Laphroiag (sp?) could easily finish me off...with a big smile, admittedly.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I love good whisky, so I don't buy it. I already drink too much as it is - if I started getting spirits in, that would be the beginning of the end. Laphroiag (sp?) could easily finish me off...with a big smile, admittedly.

Ditto, a bottle only lasts four or five days here!

Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded saddle, low profile DFS 2000 model.

yello

I'm a relatively new convert to single malts. I drank many a whisky in my 20s but without what you'd call a discerning palate (you know, I originally typed 'pallet' - 'a discerning pallet'... I quite like that, anyway...)

It was maybe a decade ago that I tried a Laphroaig and thought, I actually enjoy this! Something to savour rather than get drunk on. Even then, it stayed on the back burner and it was only maybe a couple of years ago that I started to slowly educate myself. The short of it is that Laphroaig is still my favourite, but there was another Islay single malt I enjoyed too. I tried blends just to see if I was perhaps being a bit of a snob but, truth is, I've yet to taste a blend that gives me the same pleasure as a single malt. Problem is, I can't really afford to try them all nor often and, as I'm not a big drinker, it'll take me a while to complete my research.

I have found though that my favourite, value for money (and I kind of hate to say that) single malt is Glen Grant. It's from Speyside and at €18 a bottle it's one I am suitably pleasured by without guilt.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I love Scotland and doing all the Munros and that and I do know a lot about whisky, the problem is though, I can't abide it! It's that horrible tight feeling in the castle's moat that bothers me. That restriction and the nasty burn that you can only surmise as to the damage it's doing. It's such a shame as I love the idea of reminiscing over the lowlands, highlands, islands, Islay or Speyside whiskies but they don't agree with me.

rvw

Guru
I was a convinced whisky-hater - having at one stage drunk Bells while at 6th form college - until srw and I were on holiday in Scotland and went to Tain, and Glenmorangie, for a tour. We pitched up, and they told us the tour was off, as there were just the two of us: but fortunately another couple of cars drew up, so it went ahead. But that meant that there were just 6 of us at the end of the tour ("wee drams" as part of the price) so too few for Plan A to work (hide, pass wee dram to husband, so won't have to fake liking it, stay sober as nominated driver for the day).

And then I tasted the proper stuff. To this day, I can picture srw's face: first of all "damn, I'm going to have to share the bottle we've just bought" fairly swiftly followed by "yes, but she won't bring back Amaretto from the duty free on holiday any more"!

Rosebank was a discovery in the lake district - there's a pub in the village of Boot which had 104 Scotch whiskies, though we were only there a weekend and couldn't try everything - and Penderyn is indeed the (rather wonderful) Welsh one.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike