Whisky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
How much had you consumed before you took that photo A_C?

That's a full sized table...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Island malts taste and smell like cats' p1ss, with a bit of soot thrown in. People invest a lot of money (and bullshit) to suffer. I can choke down a Jamesons as a chaser after a couple of pints of Stella, but that's about it.
BTW, Canadian Club and Coke is rather good.

thom

____
Have you tried Ledaig single malt from Morrisons? It's made by Tobermory and is the best £18 single malt I've ever tasted.

The first impression is of a calmer, less challenging Ardbeg, then a less firey Bowmore. But this whisky certainly doesn't lack definition, it is wonderfully light but won't reward you with the long rolling subtly changing tastes of a more expensive single malt from an island but it certainly tastes more expensive than £18!
First got some of the 10yo Ledaig from Tobermory itself (on the isle of Mull, where that show about Ballymory (sp) was set) - very pleasant. From the Tobermory distillery, Tobermory is the unpeated malt, Ledaig is heavily peated but still pretty light and delicate (from memory). I have some of the Sherry Finish at the moment, which is also very nice.

Can't say I am a big Talisker fan myself - for me, it requires drinking a few less "robust" malts beforehand as preparation...

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
First got some of the 10yo Ledaig from Tobermory itself (on the isle of Mull, where that show about Ballymory (sp) was set) - very pleasant. From the Tobermory distillery, Tobermory is the unpeated malt, Ledaig is heavily peated but still pretty light and delicate (from memory). I have some of the Sherry Finish at the moment, which is also very nice.

Can't say I am a big Talisker fan myself - for me, it requires drinking a few less "robust" malts beforehand as preparation...

I think much like with wine the brutal whiskys are a good starting point, but as your tastes develop you start to seek out subtler flavours.

And stuff.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
...says the man with a collection of hot sauces which probably contravene the Geneva Convention. :whistle:

Ha, good point! I also have a bottle of Naga Vodka in the cupboard that should be ready by around June.

Chrisc

Guru
I think much like with wine the brutal whiskys are a good starting point, but as your tastes develop you start to seek out subtler flavours.

And stuff.

And then the cask strength as you discover that 40% isn't cutting the mustard any more. My bottle of Laphroaig CS batch 4 is at the PO awaiting collection. :-)

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
And then the cask strength as you discover that 40% isn't cutting the mustard any more. My bottle of Laphroaig CS batch 4 is at the PO awaiting collection. :-)

Ooh! I spent a lot of money on a bottle of Port Ellen, the Islay distillery that shut down in the early 80s. It was pretty dull.

Chrisc

Guru
Ooh! I spent a lot of money on a bottle of Port Ellen, the Islay distillery that shut down in the early 80s. It was pretty dull.
Port Ellen is the only one I've not tried from Islay. The Finlaggan is new to me and pretty good. Cheap for cask strength and smooth for a young un.

Top Bottom