Whistling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Not much of a whistler, but back in the 50s and 60s hearing it was very much a part of town life.

Lady Byegad tells me I often hum when fiddling on working in the garden or playing trains constructing and operating my scale model railway.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a very irritating, and mercifully dying out, habit. Imo.
This, with knobs on.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My better half always comments when I whistle; says i sound "happy".
Obviously I'm a miserable git the rest of the time.

A loud fingers-in-mouth whistle is beyond me. A bit like popping a long wheelie. There should be adult education courses for miserable gits to learn these skills.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I could never master the loud whistle you can generate from putting your fingers in your mouth to create the right shape. You know I might still try again.^_^

I whistle a lot while I'm out walking... Also while pottering around the house. I used to be able to do a VERY LOUD whistle with fingers in me gob, but I haven't tried it for years now. I could never do that one where you draw your lower lip into your mouth, but I always thought it was cool.
Funnily enough, I was thinking about this subject a few days ago!

I mastered the loud with-fingers whistle many years ago. I have used it on forum rides where somone has missed a turn a few hundred metres ahead of me. It can be a nuisance removing a hand from the handlebar to do it though. I must try to learn the fingerless version.

One thing that I haven't tried out yet is my imitation of an emergency services vehicle sound! I was thinking of unleashing it on the next dozy smartphone-using pedestrian who wanders out into the road in front of me without looking!

I sometimes whistle tunes when alone but try not to inflict them on others.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Before I had dentures, I could whistle quite well, and loudly if necessary, but ever since, I can only produce a moose on the inhale, not the exhale..
@Fat Lars

...... which is curious, because Cliff Richard seems to have had precisely the opposite experience. His new teeth produce a whistle on every "s" he sings these days. (Expecting the release of a re-mixed version of "Chrishmash time, mishletoe and wine").

postman

Legendary Member
I don't think Whistlers mother could whistle,but she liked her rocking chair I think.Sorry but my mind wanders all over the place.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At one time there were whistling entertainers. Probably the best known was Ronnie Ronalde, but in slightly later times Roger Whittaker also used it in his songs.
I always liked the whistling in the theme to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't been able to whistle since I had tongue/throat cancer over 14 years ago. Before that I wasn't a tune whistler as I find it annoying when I hear someone else doing it. I did find whistling useful for calling in my dog and when I had Lovebirds many years ago (bought them in 1988) I could let out a shrieking whistle which they responded to. One of them (the female) escaped once. I did the shrieking whistle with the caged Lovebird (male) outside. he shrieked back which in turn attracted the flying from tree to tree female back to land on our kitchen roof. I put the cage inside our house, then the escaped female flew inside to head back into the cage to be reunited with her 'partner'.:okay:

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
1643354203139.jpeg

Whistler’s final self-portrait, “Brown and Gold”.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
TE="Mo1959, post: 6648017, member: 23403"]
I often find myself whistling tunes. Mum did too. I always remember a lady telling me how it brightened her day when she went into the baker's shop where mum worked and she would be through the back whistling a tune. :laugh:
[/QUOTE]
My Mum whistled a lot, as did her dad, who seemed to whistle all the time. My grandmother (my dad's mum, who lived with us) was often heard to darkly mutter "A whistling woman and a crowing hen is neither use to God or man" 😙

Top Bottom