White all around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mr Pig said:
I'm begging to think we have an anti-snow bubble over us. We've had none at all.
That's because even the snow hates you.

Hang on, "20cm, that's 4-5 inches in old money"? Is it my bum! 20cm is 8 inches. Gordon Bennett, I thought these weather types were trained scientists, or was this on a commercial channel? ;)

OP
OP
W

Willow

domd1979 said:
Mustard mit I've no intention of cycling tomorrow - shall be getting the bus.

perhaps I'll deviate to the bus timetable for a few mins to see whether it is feasible. Mind thinking about it if I could take the bike on the train I could go half of my journey by that method

LLB

domd1979 said:
I don't mind snow, but am dreading all the unnecessary chaos and flapping that seems to accompany it. How on earth do they cope in Siberia...?

Always amazes me how many people decide they can't go to work because they "have" to drive, despite the fact that public transport on the whole continues to run OK.

jonesy said:
It isn't the public transport bit of my commute that is worrying me, it is the cycle ride at either end if the roads are slippery. But I'm not going to run the risk of getting the car out. Hopefully there will be enough snow to justify cancelling my meetings and working at home!

A bit of snow won't stop me - but then my car can cope with it ;)

They use snow tyres in Russia Dom. I know for a fact that the swedes have to use snow tyres on their vehicles by law after November

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Willow said:
Just been talking to the head about our policy for tomorrow, we will see what the morning brings but we have 3 out of 12 teachers and 4 out of teaching assistants within walking distance, non of the senior management team (though I could get on my bike after seeing boys to school if open, and be there late - 7 miles). We have 245 children, assuming snow continues as is, as a parent do you prefer us to make a decision based on the safety angle ie. keeping all the cars off the road, and pupil teacher ratio or based on the convenience of having children at school so you can go to work?

My angle I guess is that either its bad enough that my kids can't get to both of the schools and its too bad for me too, otherwise I would rather that they went but that they were given extra play time - certainly not locked up in the school kept nice and safe!!! So far I haven't seen a single flake... so I can't see school being closed tomorrow. Its easier for me if I don't have to cancel work and then have to rearrange it all.

As a kid I remember going to school and half the teachers and kids from the surounding area not making it in. They were usually fun days when you didn't do proper school work.

derall

Guru
South East England, Middle of The Chilterns, current depth of snow =

What Snow?

Okay, bit chilly out there, but still no sign of any snow.

surfgurl

My parents are on their way back to London from visiting us in Somerset. They called a short while ago to say they were at Reading on the M4 and had seen a couple of gritters, but not a single flake yet.

OP
OP
W

Willow

summerdays said:
My angle I guess is that either its bad enough that my kids can't get to both of the schools and its too bad for me too, otherwise I would rather that they went but that they were given extra play time - certainly not locked up in the school kept nice and safe!!! So far I haven't seen a single flake... so I can't see school being closed tomorrow. Its easier for me if I don't have to cancel work and then have to rearrange it all.

As a kid I remember going to school and half the teachers and kids from the surounding area not making it in. They were usually fun days when you didn't do proper school work.

If we go in I can guarantee fun, because in between the serious bits we believe in the children enjoying just being children. i will go in mufti ready to build snowmen etc. I've been trying to find a bus route/timetable, and have given up in the time I;ve spent doing that I could have walked the 7 miles!

longers

Legendary Member
BigonaBianchi said:
..my son normally wants to build snowmen ..snowball fights etc...not this year though as he's not here:sad:

Build one anyway and take a photo and send it to him?

Send it in the post not via electrickery. Receiving real post is usually a good thing.

louise

Just woke up for my inhaler and a cuppa a quick peek out the window reveals snow in Gateshead damn that means no bike ride today as planned, I am still getting used to being on my bike again and whizzing around in snow is not part of my plan

thankfully coventry has yet to get any snow that hangs about,

i've got to be in uni in the morning (hence being up at the moment) and millie has to get to work or she'll have to make up her hours on a day off...

Top Bottom