White Horse Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Any one doing this 75mile short sportive 30th September? See here -
http://www.cyclegb.co.uk/ I have just enrolled, having been prompted by the mechanic from my LBS whilst out on a local run on Tuesday evening.
Only having done 'charidee' rides of this sort of length in the past, L2B this year and last year's O2C. Half the route is on roads familiar to me, there is a longer 115 mile route, but the profile put me off, too many big climbs, whereas the shorter route has fewer climbs and the overal altitude gain is something in the region of 1,550 metres.

Having looked at the standards I am confident of attaining a silver, and with more time on the bike, maybe even a gold?

giant man

Hmmm ...... interesting Chris!

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Yep, I'm registered, not many of us at the moment, hopefully a few more will register, when I checked earlier I think there are about two dozen of us!

skwerl

Bit OT but what's the O2C like? It should be a relatively flat route, right? I've not ridden any events before but I'm now in training for the etape so figured a sportive/charity ride every couple of months would be useful training.
What are the logistics for these things? Excuse my ignorance but the BHF don't provide much info. I assume they haul your gear over to Cambridge so it's there when you finish?

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Skewrl,
O2C was fairly undulating, some flat bits, and a couple of good climbs, notably, Great Brick Hill and Brick Hill. The ride was well marshalled, bit annoying that they wanted to sell you water, but I expect most people were self suficient as far as hydration went, mind you for the first 40 miles it rained so heavily, you could absorb as much water as you need via osmosis!! It was seriously wet, roads flooded in places, I had to take my bike to pieces afterwards! My frame was full of water, my BB was bu**ered, due to having to pedal through water that was 18" deep in places, all my lube was washed off the drivetrain, I rode into Cambridge sounding like a Panzer tank!! Water in the wheel rims too.

Logistics is the real issue, as you point out. I was lucky, taking part with a team of soldiers, from the Royal Logisitics Corp, so the 'logistics' side of the ride was managed by them, we had two mini buses, one for the riders, of which there were 7, and a second bus for the bikes and kit.

We overnighted at Abingdon, the other members had driven over from Camberley, I travelled the 19 miles from mine in Newbury to Abingdon to meet them. We went into Oxford for a meal and a couple of beers the night before, returning to Abingdon to bed down.Then, the following morning, drove into Oxford for our 07.00 depart. One of the buses was driven to Cambridge, the second bus leapfrogged our progress, providing water/food at 25/30 mile intervals. My overall time was 5.14.17 for the 88 miles.

At Cambridge we met the second bus at the arrive, loaded the bikes, stopped off for a meal, before making our way back to Camberley via Abingdon, where I collected my car and drove back to Newbury.

I could not have organised the logistics side of this ride, to get from Newbury to Oxford is easy enough, but getting back from Cambridge to Newbury with a bike, would have been an absolute nightmare. I expect that is why only 1,400 riders took part, all of which with the exception of one youngish bloke who I saw on a knackered old junker, were what I would call serious/club cyclists, (mind you he was belting along).

Possibly you need to organise a couple of cycling friends to assist you with the transport/logisitics side of things, take part as a team, but you will need one driver to meet you at Cambridge for the return journey, unless you are planning a return cycle ride.

Good luck if you do give it a go, certainly it would be good training towards your attempt at the Etape.

halo

I might well look into that one for next year ( the White Horse ride I mean! ) - had a bit ( sorry, a lot ) of motivational problems this year - I really need a plan, something to aim for - that sort of thing might just be the ticket!

Top Bottom