white van driver - surprise for once!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thecube

A strange thing happened on my commute today, as turning left at a set of lights off a main road into a smaller road, the car coming from opposite turned at the same time on the filter light – it was my right of way but we kind of merged at the same time. I did have to slow to avoid being hit! This, I must confess, in not uncommon. But, the surprising thing was, the white van driver behind the car that cut me up pulled up alongside me as I was cycling and shouted “we’ve got him on dashcam, we’ll catch him up and tell him he’s a f**** t***” – which was nice.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A strange thing happened on my commute today, as turning left at a set of lights off a main road into a smaller road, the car coming from opposite turned at the same time on the filter light – it was my right of way but we kind of merged at the same time.

Most of us will have been in that situation. Out of curiosity, I tried to find the bit in the Highway Code that states left-turning traffic has priority over traffic turning right from the opposite direction. To my surprise I couldn't find anything, other than the statement that if you're turning right you should normally give way to oncoming traffic (but it could be argued that someone approaching intending to turn left isn't "oncoming").

Could it be that drivers aren't being taught this distinction nowadays? It would certainly explain a lot of near-misses. Other explanations are available. :smile:

OP
OP
thecube

thecube

At the lights it was my right of way. coming from his direction these rules would apply;

Green light alone = Give way to oncoming before turning.

Green light w/ arrow = Oncoming traffic has a red light so you're free to go straight or turn.

ONLY green arrow = You can turn but not go straight.

Top Bottom