Whittled it down to a choice of 2!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grievesy

Same Brand, Similar Type, (isn't urban just another name for a Hybrid?) it's just the gearing that's different mainly. anyone got any hints or tips for which one to go for?
it'll mainly be used as a commuter, mostly flat, but it could be used for the odd weekend ride where there is hills/ may convert it for some touring in the future.

choice one:

Boardman Hyb 8.8
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-hyb-8-8-mens-hybrid-bike-2019.html

This was the original, Plan A. a good solid bike with 10 gears which is more than enough for me.

or

Boardman URB 8.8
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-elite-urb-8-9-men-s-hybrid-bike-2019.html

This is the new kid on the block. Hub gearing x 8? never used hubs before but they seem to be getting good feedback, low to nil maintenance and quick shifting, not to mention can change gears while stopped. (quite handy!)

my wallet is literally burning in my pocket. I needs one in my life!

vickster

Legendary Member
Easy...not the black one :whistle:

But obviously you need to ride them both

Join British Cycling and get 10% off in store :okay:

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Both are good bikes, both hydraulic brakes, just different drive train. Derailleur is familiar, easy to use, needs a little more attention, service. Hub gearing is less maintenance, but not nil. once a year the internals will need a service (oil dip) and re grease. chain will need lubrication on both.

Is flat bar what you require or could a drop handlebar Boardman suit your needs/want?

OP
OP
Grievesy

Grievesy

Both are good bikes, both hydraulic brakes, just different drive train. Derailleur is familiar, easy to use, needs a little more attention, service. Hub gearing is less maintenance, but not nil. once a year the internals will need a service (oil dip) and re grease. chain will need lubrication on both.

Is flat bar what you require or could a drop handlebar Boardman suit your needs/want?

Hey Andy, yeah I'm definitely looking for a flat bar. I broke my wrist last year and when I ride with my current bike I can feel pain in the wrist after 30+ miles. so I reckon a switch to a flat bar for my daily commuter should help :smile: slightly more sit up and beg style than racer pose with some weight onto the wrists.

Top Bottom