Who does'nt understand their apostrophe's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
piedwagtail91 said:
it's beyond me most of the time! but shouldn't the apostrophe in the title be between the n and t?
http://www.dace.co.uk/apostrophe.htm
In contractions, the apostrophe indicates a missing letter(s) e.g. can't, doesn't, isn't, wasn't, etc.
Crackle said:
posessive apostrophes. Never can remember.
That's Geoff's car
They're the Geoffs' cars
Is that right?
The first one is correct, the second - are 'the Geoffs' a family? If Mr Geoffs and Mrs Geoffs both have a car then it is correct. If you are referring to Geoff (singular) and multiple cars then it would be 'the Geoff's cars'.
If the name end in 's' - e.g., Chris, we can write 'Chris's bike' but modern convention drops the final 's' - 'Chris' bike'.
The same dropping of the final 's' occurs in plurals ending in 's' - 'My sister's children' - the children of only one of my sisters but 'My sisters' children' will be the children of all of my sisters.
If the plural does not end in 's' e.g. 'children' then it is just a case of adding apostrophe + 's' e.g., 'children's toys'.
In modern usage, you do not need to use apostrophes with numbers - the 1900s, the 60s or with things like CDs.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Admin said:
I used to always mess up "its" and "it's".

I basically used it's all the time until someone pointed out that a website I'd designed had around 100 instances of the wrong "it's" and explained the difference between the two.

Aparantly its a common mistake! (did you see what I did there, its a deliberate mistake, not using it in it's correct form! Ha, I did it again, its good fun! :smile:)

Cheers,
Shaun

it's all made clear here

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
basically, it's due to a lack of correct teaching of spelling and grammar that, thankfully, seems to not be the case any more. the under 30s in my office could not place an apostrophe in the right place if their lives depended on it.

Brock

Being as posh and upper class as I am with my double-barrelled surname I often have to explain what a hyphen is. One girl in a bank look slightly confused when I told her my name was double-barrelled with a hyphen, and put an apostrophe between the names. Fairly shocking level of education en'nit?

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' rule!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Brock said:
Being as posh and upper class as I am with my double-barrelled surname I often have to explain what a hyphen is. One girl in a bank look slightly confused when I told her my name was double-barrelled with a hyphen, and put an apostrophe between the names. Fairly shocking level of education en'nit?

I confuse people even more in that I have two surnames with no hyphen!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Brock said:

i'm not posh, but i share your pain ;)

i often have to tell them where the key is on the keyboard :evil:

Top Bottom