Who knows Mercians..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rabbit

Regular
Anyone here know much about Mercians? I'm looking at getting a second hand one for my daughter - they seem to vary in price depending on how fancy the lugwork is but just wanted a reasonable touring model. Any suggestions/clues about what to look out for?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Anyone here know much about Mercians? I'm looking at getting a second hand one for my daughter - they seem to vary in price depending on how fancy the lugwork is but just wanted a reasonable touring model. Any suggestions/clues about what to look out for?

tell me about it , first things first frame numbers are either straight forward ie the number of frame made in year or with the addition of the surname if made to order , all checkable at Mercian for a small fee .

what you looking for size wise ??

OP
OP
R

Rabbit

Regular
Probably a smallish frame - maybe 52- 54 cms without too long a reach between seat tube and handlebars. Don't need a racing spec and could replace components if need be - just want to make sure that the frame is ok and suitable but can't find much information about the old models. There doesn't seem to be much of a Mercian forum to ask!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Mercian are lovely bikes, I used to have one. If you are looking for an old one just check it out like you would with anything else. They do seem to attract a price premium so be prepared to pay a bit especially if it's a nice one. You will find some stuff about them at classicrendezvous.com. Most will be built with relaxed geometry so you should be able to find one. Good luck.

Top Bottom