Who needs health and safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
As ingenious as it is sometimes scary.

Slick

Guru
Definitely ingenious, and whilst I'm no elf and safety buff, I can't help but feel a little sad that nobody values even their long term health enough to provide them with the most basic of protective measures.

I do accept that we have come through the same route during the industrial revolution, but surely lessons have been learned from that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've also been watching them, absolutely fascinating how they mend stuff. The ingenuity is incredible. I guess most come from south Asia, countries that are mired in the past with no regard for H&S, yet can send rockets into space.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I used to work in sales for a small carpet factory in the midlands.
The Wilton looms very noisy and ear defenders were issued by the company but most were ditched by the weavers who said they couldn't hear the looms to hear any problems.

Slick

Guru
The Wilton looms very noisy and ear defenders were issued by the company but most were ditched by the weavers who said they couldn't hear the looms to hear any problems.

I did the same, but in a very different industry.

I bet the weavers like me, wish they had used them now they are dealing with issues like hearing loss and tinnitus.

Gillstay

Über Member

Yes that was often the way. Workers fought against the efforts to keep them safe.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I did the same, but in a very different industry.

I bet the weavers like me, wish they had used them now they are dealing with issues like hearing loss and tinnitus.

My father was a (marine) ship's engineer on trawlers - even when they were given ear defenders he said they were so basic they just sweated so badly (rotating 8 hour shifts) they took them off - he ended up 90% deaf...

Top Bottom