Who remembers Don Louis of Herne Hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The area outside the station is sweet

It is indeed, and this weekend this:

http://www.freefilmfestivals.org/event/station-square-silent-showcase/

It was freezing last year (earlier) but Mr Brand still produced the magic.

Recommended.

yorick

Hello Yogi

I grew up in Herne Hill and I knew Don Louis because my father was a keen cyclist in his time and I understood that Don Louis was French.

Regarding your speculation about the rumours of his private life (let's call it), you can take it from me: the rumours are true as I most certainly know. Suffice to say, if I were pressed to corroborate the assertion, I would have to decline on account of the rules of this forum.

Put it this way: I'll never forget him, for he made an indelible mark on my life.

yorick

Changed his name by deed poll in December 1953 from Tom Lewis. In the notice in the London Gazette it says he was a 'citizen of the United Kingdom'

I, DON LOUIS (Cycle Manufacturer) of 80, Loughiborough Park, Brixton, London, S.W.9, a citizen- of the United Kingdom and Colonies -by toirth heretofore called and known by the name of Tom Lewis hereby given notice that I have renounced and abandoned the names of Tom Lew-is and that I have assumed and intend henceforth on all occasions whatsoever and at all times to sign and use and to be called and known by .the name of Don Louis in lieu of and in substitution for my former names of Tom Lewis. And I also hereby give notice that such change of name is formally declared and evidenced by a Deed Poll under my hand and seal dated the 2nd day of December, 1953, and duly executed and attested, and .that such Deed (Poll was enrolled in the Central Office of the Supreme Court of Judicature on the 7th day of December, 1953.—Dated this 7th day of December, 1953. (252) DON LOUIS, formerly Tom Lewis

StevePhilpott

Hello Yogi

I grew up in Herne Hill and I knew Don Louis because my father was a keen cyclist in his time and I understood that Don Louis was French.

Regarding your speculation about the rumours of his private life (let's call it), you can take it from me: the rumours are true as I most certainly know. Suffice to say, if I were pressed to corroborate the assertion, I would have to decline on account of the rules of this forum.

Put it this way: I'll never forget him, for he made an indelible mark on my life.
I used to ride with Don Louis and the gang when I was a teenager. I never raced but we rode as a bunch all over south London and out towards Richmond. He was famous for his hand-built frames and was a real character.

Top Bottom