Who rides TT on feel rather than computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phillip scott

Did a TT last week & forgot my wahoo & achieved a pb, just hung on for dear life. Tonight with better conditions & my wahoo I was slower, & recognised I was observing hr & speed & riding more conservatively. A club mate said he never use a computer for that very reason. What do others do & feel about this?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Me. But then I never ride that fast.

My 14yo has learnt to race by feel first. We introduced technology later. Often he won't wear his heart rate meter because he says "I know when I'm on the limit because I'm about to die."

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Before I retired I used to cover the average speed readout on my computer with tape but keep the distance visible, that's if I hadn't ridden the course much. Gave up with the HRM pretty quickly as well.

OP
OP
P

phillip scott

I don't have a power metre so usually ride mostly on heart rate. I'm still relatively new to TT but chatting to the more old school riders just got me thinking as they too ride on feel.

huwsparky

Über Member
I don't have a power metre so usually ride mostly on heart rate. I'm still relatively new to TT but chatting to the more old school riders just got me thinking as they too ride on feel.
Yeah, don't bother with heart rate for short TT's at least. Pretty useless metric but at least now you know.

Sharky

Guru
I'm too old to have used a heart rate or power metres, but always used a watch or computer. They don't make me try any harder, but knowing the time and distance, especially for the last mile to keep me motivated.

When I started, I used to study the course details and the distances they gave and calculate my target time for reaching those points. Then used to write them down on a piece of paper and cellotape it to my stem. In olden days, they also used to put up 5, 4, 3, 2 1 miles to go boards and it was a great incentive when you reached them. Now it's all done by the on board computer, which does the same function, but doesn't have the same motivation factor.

Now I only ride our evening 10 series and always on the same course, so I know every bump in the road and when to try a bit harder.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
My most recent ride was a PB i've always been a keen watcher of HR and this time i kept the page on a pace i had set instead.

Normally i finish up around 165HR but this one was a big PB and 177bpm. i wont be watching HR in future!

huwsparky

Über Member
My most recent ride was a PB i've always been a keen watcher of HR and this time i kept the page on a pace i had set instead.

Normally i finish up around 165HR but this one was a big PB and 177bpm. i wont be watching HR in future!
Out of interest, why were you riding to 165 when this isn't even near your threshold for whatever the distance? Seems odd.

Pace is no good to follow either as even if you're racing the same course,wind direction and speed will totally change what pace you'd be holding at different points in the race. Unless you've got a power meter and know your numbers just race it on feel.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Out of interest, why were you riding to 165 when this isn't even near your threshold for whatever the distance? Seems odd.

Pace is no good to follow either as even if you're racing the same course,wind direction and speed will totally change what pace you'd be holding at different points in the race. Unless you've got a power meter and know your numbers just race it on feel.

Whenever I’ve ridden or run if I go much above 165bpm I’ve struggled to hold the speed. Always seemed to be the perfect balance point for being able to stay aero and breathe.

Pace worked for me. I’m not the fastest and by chasing a 28 minute(slow course) I finished about 1:10 up on my previous PB.
When I say pace I set a garmin virtual opponent for the time and tried to stay with it.

Top Bottom