Who would you like to see win the tour? Who do you think will win?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
I'd like to Evans win. He always seems to be alone without team support, a few years back they signed Popovych to help him on the hills but he wasn't up to much.

Before the race started I thought it would be Contador, and still do (but hoping Evans can pull it off).

raindog

er.....
I'd like to see Berto win and I think he probably will.

My dream podium would be:- Wiggy, Evans and someone else (Gesink?)

I suspect it's going to be: Contador, Schleck, Evans

It would be nice to see someone challenge Bertie and as for Lance, what the sport needs is for him to be thoroughly beaten (as all of the big boys are eventually, see Merckx and Indurain for example) so that things can move on.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd like to see Wiggins do it. The boost to the sport in this country would be absolutely massive.

Armstrong would be a potential disaster. Should the federal inquiry find the evidence to charge him winning this year would do even more damage than it would at present. Not that I think he will, he is past it.

NickM said:
with a big stick oops :biggrin:
Heh, naughty. :thumbsup:

No, I was actually being serious, not just yanking fanboy cranks. He's not the rider he was, even if he isn't making a fool of himself like Schumacher is in F1, so can we just move on please? Bertie is a pretty good modern era hero (even if he does smell a bit) and there are new riders like Kreuziger, Gesink, Thomas etc coming through. I'd prefer to see them getting more attention. Best way for that to happen is for the Old Champ to take a whupping and retire with good grace.

NickM

Veteran
Armstrong? Good grace?? :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'd like Wiggo to win, because he seems a decent sort. But I don't suppose he will. Contador having coped with stage 3, I expect he will.

The Tour de France is seldom as interesting as the Giro, because it has these eras in which the same rider wins repeatedly. It's only in the inter-era races that the GC fight gets really interesting.

montage

God Almighty
I want wiggo to win.

I think the armstrong/contador rivalry will be a close call following armstrongs performance in the prologue!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
NickM said:
The Tour de France is seldom as interesting as the Giro, because it has these eras in which the same rider wins repeatedly. It's only in the inter-era races that the GC fight gets really interesting.

Totally agree here. I think the Giro is harder too these days. Certainly this year's one was a monster.

I think Contador will win, with Evans and Schleck rounding out the podium - although without his (in-form) brother to pace him, maybe Andy S will have more trouble.

However I would prefer Evans, Wiggins and someone unexpected - like Kreuzinger - on the podium.

montage

God Almighty
Flying_Monkey said:
Totally agree here. I think the Giro is harder too these days. Certainly this year's one was a monster.

I think Contador will win, with Evans and Schleck rounding out the podium - although without his (in-form) brother to pace him, maybe Andy S will have more trouble.

However I would prefer Evans, Wiggins and someone unexpected - like Kreuzinger - on the podium.

At least he doesn't have to look out for frank like he did last year. Silver lining?

Top Bottom